Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Run Updater as administrator when Dolphin is in a protected folder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Updater should be requested to be run as administrator (using UAC) when Dolphin is in a protected folder, for example Program Files. If I do not run Dolphin itself as administrator, the Updater will just silently fail to update at all, with no warnings or suggestions. Additionally, you can't run the updater on its own to just update Dolphin (which frankly, is stupid) so it's currently impossible to auto-update without running the main program as an administrator. Instead it should ask to run the updater as administrator when you click Install or whenever you close Dolphin and it begins the update.
Well you could right click dolphin folder and setup permissions tab so that you won't have need to run as administrator. Since the update itself doesn't need those permissions. I on phone so this will be harder to explain until later.
(06-14-2020, 08:32 AM)themaster123 Wrote: [ -> ]Well you could  right click dolphin folder and setup permissions tab so that you won't have need to run as administrator. Since the update itself doesn't need those permissions. I on phone so this will be harder to explain until later.

Yes, because that's easy for people who aren't good with computers to figure out.
I aware that this isn't something most people will be aware of,but I not home right now or when I posted that message to know exactly what the tab say for each step.
About not being able to run the updater on its own, that's because there's no easy way for it to detect the current Dolphin version you have, and all the "check if update is available and display changelog" logic is handled by the main Dolphin executable itself, which then calls the updater executable with the proper parameters so it can do its job.

About the updater not trying to run as administrator when running on a protected folder, I suggest you open an issue report (do a search first to see if an issue about that doesn't exist already). Add a "[Feature Request]" prefix on the title to sinalize it's not a bug. I'm not 100% sure but I think the updater used to request admin privileges but doesn't anymore for some reason...
(06-14-2020, 10:16 AM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]About not being able to run the updater on its own, that's because there's no easy way for it to detect the current Dolphin version you have, and all the "check if update is available and display changelog" logic is handled by the main Dolphin executable itself, which then calls the updater executable with the proper parameters so it can do its job.

About the updater not trying to run as administrator when running on a protected folder, I suggest you open an issue report (do a search first to see if an issue about that doesn't exist already). Add a "[Feature Request]" prefix on the title to sinalize it's not a bug. I'm not 100% sure but I think the updater used to request admin privileges but doesn't anymore for some reason...

I see, so it's basically a method contained in an external program.  Perhaps that functionality could be broken out into the updater, and have the updater detect the installed version by scanning some text file or something?  Something to think about, I guess.

I'll make an issue report now.  I don't ever remember it asking for privileges, and I've had Dolphin in my Program Files folder since 5.0.