Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Optimum OS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. Hope this isn't something that's already been discussed but I couldn't find anything on the forum regarding this subject. I'm building a PC that's strictly for dolphin and I wanted advice on which OS will work best. I'm assuming Windows 10 but perhaps Linux or even a windows 7 build will work better. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

P.s. the PC I'm building will be running with:
Core i3 9th gen CPU
GTX 1650 GPU
8gb ram
120gb SSD
I wouldn't bother with Windows 7 at this point unless it's the only thing you could actually install. Windows 10 had a rough start iirc, but today it's as good an OS as Windows makes. It's up to you whether you choose Linux or Windows 10. Go with what's familiar. Dolphin doesn't gain any advantages one way or the other. Main difference would be the Direct3D 11 backend, but the Vulkan backend (available on Windows and Linux) tends to make that a moot point for most people. So use the OS you feel most comfortable with.
Also keep in mind that not only Windows 7 support ended earlier this year but Intel 7th gen CPUs and newer never got official support to it, so expect a lot of headaches with drivers and such. If you're going with Windows, definitely get Windows 10 instead of 7...
(06-11-2020, 04:47 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Also keep in mind that not only Windows 7 support ended earlier this year but Intel 7th gen CPUs and newer never got official support to it, so expect a lot of headaches with drivers and such. If you're going with Windows, definitely get Windows 10 instead of 7...

And a few of the new extensions got backported by Microsoft to Win7 but not the ones that Dolphin actually needs. And with an Nvidia card you might want to stick to DX12 anyway since there are still some issues with stuttering and freezes in Vulkan/OGL as there is some GPU driver issue exclusively to nvidia cards (unless that got fixed recently).
See this video for win 10 ... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IU5F01oOzQQ

Or use lubuntu old versions