Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Suggestions for PC upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

jotabe1789

Hi! I'm thinking about upgrading my old PC, with a focus on making it a good emulation machine, but on a very limited budget. So, rather than a complete list of upgrades, I would like to know which 1 or 2 elements need the most urgent upgrade to increase performance.
The games I want to emulate are NSMBW, Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

My setup is:
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960
RAM: DDR4-2133 CL15 8GB 2x8GB
MB: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB

Thanks!
Have you tried any games yet? Most should run very well.
I have an i5-6600 and I don't have any trouble playing Dolphin. Some slight stutters in the Rogue Squadron series, but they're the most demanding games in Dolphin right now, so they don't count.

The games you've listed I've run with no problems.

jotabe1789

NSMBWii runs quite well at native resolution. When I raise it to 1080, there's a very small slowdown. It's noticeable because the control feels sluggish in comparison to playing on the actual Wii.
In Mario Galaxy, I see stutters that are frequent enough to be annoying, even though it's perfectly playable.

So I understand that the CPU should not be a priority to upgrade...

I would like to add that I want to play at higher resolutions, 2k or 4k, and with graphical enhancements like shaders. I have read that the GPU could be the bottleneck in this situation?
First you should update to the current beta or dev builds. then your will want to turn asynchronous ubershaders and compile shader on. You likely seeing shader generate stutter from what you describing. That hardware more then enough for dolphin fir thr most part. On mobile by the way.

jotabe1789

(05-22-2020, 07:44 AM)themaster123 Wrote: [ -> ]First you should update to the current beta or dev builds. then your will want to turn asynchronous ubershaders and compile shader on. You likely seeing shader generate stutter from what you describing. That hardware more then enough for dolphin fir thr most part. On mobile by the way.

Thanks! That helped with some of the stutter. Still getting some graphical flickering at high resolutions. I tried to screenshot it, but in the screenshot the graphics appear perfect, so I'm guessing it's a problem with the screen refresh...
You could try using vsync if it screen tearing but if you not at full speed you might notice input lag. I don't know what ir you using but it also possible that there are game setting you could look at could have ir scaling issue with might be fix by some graphic option. Also what backend your using direct 11 from what understand work better with asynchronous ubershaders then opengl.