Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Low fps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Mrcoffeecups

I having problems with playing paper mario 64, my fps is dropping very low, around 17-27 its never higher than 30,
I've done almost every I could find for speeding up dolphin does anyone have any suggestions?
This looks to be a hardware issue. Your CPU is pretty slow. 1.4GHz with Sandy Bridge architecture isn't enough to run many games at acceptable speeds in Dolphin. Even Virtual Console games such as Paper Mario need a CPU with decent power. It's also a mobile CPU (Ultra Low Voltage Celeron) which doesn't perform as well as its desktop counterparts.

Another issue would be your integrated graphics. It's an Intel HD Graphics, which is far below the minimum for Dolphin in terms of performance. It's below both the Intel HD 3000 and 2000, which haven't been the minimum specs for Dolphin in about 6 or 7 years.

Unfortunately, your computer's simply too slow to adequately run Dolphin at fullspeed. You might have better luck just playing Paper Mario in an N64 emulator. If I recall correctly, it's possible to extract the N64 ROM from a Virtual Console title and someone confirmed it's possible to do so for Paper Mario. The link explains everything step-by-step too.
Paper Mario is compressed in the Virtual Console, as indicated by the file name "romc" (c for compressed).

Use a command line tool such as romchu to decompress it again so you get a properly dumped .Z64 rom, usable on N64 emulators such as Project64.

Most games contained in the Virtual Console are just regular .Z64 roms, but Majora's Mask and Paper Mario are compressed. Likely due Nintendo noticed how to compress Virtual Console .WADs by compressing the rom within it later in the Wii's lifespan.

Mrcoffeecups

(05-16-2020, 02:48 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]This looks to be a hardware issue. Your CPU is pretty slow. 1.4GHz with Sandy Bridge architecture isn't enough to run many games at acceptable speeds in Dolphin. Even Virtual Console games such as Paper Mario need a CPU with decent power. It's also a mobile CPU (Ultra Low Voltage Celeron) which doesn't perform as well as its desktop counterparts.

Another issue would be your integrated graphics. It's an Intel HD Graphics, which is far below the minimum for Dolphin in terms of performance. It's below both the Intel HD 3000 and 2000, which haven't been the minimum specs for Dolphin in about 6 or 7 years.

Unfortunately, your computer's simply too slow to adequately run Dolphin at fullspeed. You might have better luck just playing Paper Mario in an N64 emulator. If I recall correctly, it's possible to extract the N64 ROM from a Virtual Console title and someone confirmed it's possible to do so for Paper Mario. The link explains everything step-by-step too.

Thanks for the info, I do have a n64 emulator, I just wanted dolphin since its nicer, but one thing that is interesting is that dolphin runs paper mario thousand year door at 60fps no problems so I don't really know
(05-17-2020, 02:02 PM)Mrcoffeecups Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the info, I do have a n64 emulator, I just wanted dolphin since its nicer, but one thing that is interesting is that dolphin runs paper mario thousand year door at 60fps no problems so I don't really know

The problem with Virtual Console is that you are trying to run an emulator INSIDE another Emulator... that makes it slow down double as much. On top of that, IIRC most n64 games had weird speeds (e.g. Ocarina of Time ran at 17FPS for PAL and 20 FPS for NTSC) maybe Paper Mario is one of them?

Mrcoffeecups

(05-23-2020, 08:26 AM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with Virtual Console is that you are trying to run an emulator INSIDE another Emulator... that makes it slow down double as much. On top of that, IIRC most n64 games had weird speeds (e.g. Ocarina of Time ran at 17FPS for PAL and 20 FPS for NTSC) maybe Paper Mario is one of them?
 I see, i kinda of fixed the problem, it was the "file" I was using, I tried another it worked just fine, thanks though