Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Sharp output on RetroArch D3D10, but not GL or standalone Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

BoozerDawg

Hi all, forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this, I have only just started getting into Gamecube/Wii emulation, and have been having lots of fun using this emulator (first discovered it in RetroArch), seems basically flawless from what I can see, amazing work!

1 thing I have noticed while using the RetroArch version, is depending on the video output you select, can get different results. For example, Resident Evil under D3D10, looks very sharp, and I prefer this look if im honest, whereas gl appears blurry.

I thought I would give the standalone emulator a go too, and under every video backend I try, I still get the same "blur" so to speak that the gl renderer in RetroArch gives.

I was wondering if anyone knew why this is, is there an option in the standalone version to give it that nice and crispy look? I feel it just looks better on 2D backgrounds.

Screenshot comparisons here - http://www.framecompare.com/image-compar...n/99BJCNNU

Dont hate me for playing games at native res, I just prefer to keep it that way  Tongue
That looks like nearest-neighbor upscaling. I don't think standalone Dolphin has an option for that.

BoozerDawg

Is it something that would be easy to implement? Sorry, i'm not a dev at all so wouldnt know the technicalities or time required to do so, I just think it looks better, not intending to sound like a pushy git  Tongue
I don't know what retroarch is doing, so this is a guess, but I imagine they are using fractional internal resolution to precisely reach your display resolution. Nearest neighbor scaling would have a lot of artifacts and wouldn't appear perfectly sharp. Dolphin used to have the ability to do this but we removed it a few years ago because it was causing crashes and wiping game saves. But this is the kind of thing Retroarch wouldn't care about the complications of.