Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GCZ - 32, 64 or 128 blocks?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I notice that when selecting GCZ conversion from the Dolphin menu, there is a block size option that wasn't there before. What is the difference between these three options and which one should I pick? Also, does removing junk data affect loading times like Nkit trimming does?
(05-14-2020, 09:50 AM)extherian Wrote: [ -> ]I notice that when selecting GCZ conversion from the Dolphin menu, there is a block size option that wasn't there before. What is the difference between these three options and which one should I pick?

Bigger block sizes give you better compression but lower performance. However, the speeds don't start getting noticeably slower until you're in the megabytes range, so using 128 KiB is no problem.

(05-14-2020, 09:50 AM)extherian Wrote: [ -> ]Also, does removing junk data affect loading times like Nkit trimming does?

No.
By 'performance' do you mean how quickly data can be read from the GCZ archive, or how quickly the compression process finishes?
(05-14-2020, 09:04 PM)extherian Wrote: [ -> ]By 'performance' do you mean how quickly data can be read from the GCZ archive, or how quickly the compression process finishes?

How quickly data can be read from the GCZ archive. I'm not sure if it has any effect on how long it takes to compress, but if it does, the effect can't be very large.
OK, thanks. It would be nice to have a tooltip to explain what the options do, for future reference.

mhayeck

JosJuice, i've have one question about the "Remove Junk Data" option. Sorry if this was the wrong place to make, but i think it's appropriate given the question of extrerian. Some time ago i've read in a lot of places that only the game cube games has some sort of peculiarity about the junk data and if you compress them and delete that data, some games don't work anymore. Today, with the latest version of Dolphin and this native compress option, it's real or something to be careful?

Thanks! Love the emulator!!!
I've never ran into a game that has any problems after removing junk data, but I can't guarantee that there is no such game.

(Actually, Datel discs do have problems if you remove junk data, but Dolphin doesn't let you remove junk data for them, so it's not a mistake that would be easy to make.)