Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: "Unable to load Mii Channel data" after Start Recording Input in Mario Kart Wii
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

WoodLine

Hey there,

I haven't been able to find a related thread so here we go.
I installed Dolphin on my Linux Manjaro. The following issue occured with every Dolphin fresh install I tried: 5.0 stable, latest developpement on git, latest beta on git, portable install, global install, etc.

I can play Mario Kart Wii normally, but whenever I try to launch the game with Movie -> Start Recording Input, I get this error message: "Unable to load Mii Channel data."
[Image: 3RYUydA.png]

Afterward, whenever I launch Mario Kart Wii (whether normally or with Start Recording Input button), I get the same error and cannot get into the game.

The only solution I have found to make the game work again is to delete the User folder, located in ~/.local/share/dolphin-emu/ for a global install or in Build/Binaries/ for a portable install.

Is this a known issue and what can I do to fix this?
You need to initialize the Mii Channel before you can start recording input. Under the Tools tab choose "Load Wii System Menu" and access the Mii Channel. If it's not there, you will need to perform a system update first. Under the Tools tab choose "Perform Online System Update" and then "Current Region". After that is done, go back and choose "Load Wii System Menu" once again, and enter the Mii Channel. Once you've initialized it you shouldn't encounter than problem upon starting a recording.
Actually, I believe this was a bug that was fixed by 5.0-12040 (a little while after the topic was created). Creating Mii Channel data works as a workaround, but with a recent version of Dolphin it works even if you don't create Mii Channel data.