Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Option to Disable Dumping Mipmaps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it possible to make an option to disable dumping mipmaps (textures flagged as "mip"), while still dumping the main texture (flagged with "m") ?

As someone who has dumped an insane number of textures over the years, I'm constantly having to delete tons of mips over and over. Right now I've resumed work on the Skies of Arcadia texture pack, and I'm making a library of every texture in the game, and it's probably annihilating my old HDD with the tens of thousands of mipmaps I'm creating and deleting every hour or two. Also, I have the dump folder set to sort by date so I can always keep track of the newest dumped textures, and having 10-20k mipmaps really slows it down. I leave all of the cumulative textures in the dump folder so I don't dump duplicate textures, so in a big RPG I have 10s of thousands of textures, even without mipmaps, which really slows down the sorting and also just makes a big mess.

I understand if this isn't possible or maybe even so niche that it's not worth the time, but if it's not too insane to accomplish this I would appreciate it immensely. Regardless, thanks for the time and effort you guys put into this emulator.
Sure, I can imagine that would be frustrating. I'd be happy to pickup this work. It shouldn't be too difficult to implement. I will try and find some time to do this soon, within the next week or two.
(05-05-2020, 03:11 AM)iwubcode Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, I can imagine that would be frustrating.  I'd be happy to pickup this work.  It shouldn't be too difficult to implement.  I will try and find some time to do this soon, within the next week or two.

That sounds amazing. Thank you!
Oh heck yes! Dumping mipmaps has been a pain for so long. I can see it being useful for dumping "_arb" mipmaps, but for most textures we already have the "m" flag to know which textures should have them anyway. Speaking of hard drive deaths, I'm sure it contributed (at least a little bit) to one of my hard drives failing when working on the Xenoblade pack a few years back. Well, that and the thousands of duplicates before the paletted textures fix. Tongue
Sounds good. I definitely don't want to have any more hard drive deaths on my conscience!

I'll post a review here when I have something. I already have an idea of what I want this to look like.
Awesome, I know a few hard drives that are looking forward to it. Thanks again for taking the time to do this; this is probably going to be my favorite feature added in years, haha.
So, whenever I get focused on an idea, I usually have to do it to get it out of my head. That's what happened here!

frozenwings / Bighead - please test this feature https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/8793 when you have time . I did some minor testing but may have missed something. I expanded the original suggestion to include all texture dump variants. Also, if you have suggestions on the flavor text, please let me know. I wasn't sure what to put exactly.
If you are on fire working on stuff for custom textures, i have another suggestion, even if it's more longterm:
Include efb copies in dumping and loading of textures(both would only work when efb to texture only is disabled). Dolphin can dump efb copies right now, but it doesn't do it in a good way, with lots of duplicates. This could help when working on issues with efb copies. And loading them might allow to use high res textures where it's not possible right now. One big problem though: efb copies affect game logic in many games. In order to work around that properly, you'd need an original efb copy for reads and one for displaying it. And if it's a paletted texture, you'd need to do all work on it 2x.

Even only the dumping part, which only would be enabled with efb copies to texture only disabled, would be something nice.
Edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb. Didn't realize I could download a test build by logging in. Thanks, Bighead.

Edit 2: Looks like it's working really well. Amazing how fast you whipped this up.

Edit 3: a few thoughts I had, copied from my GitHub comment:

I'm very happy with it. Thank you so much!

In terms of cleaning up the UI, you probably don't need a "Dump Base Textures" option, since I don't think anyone is going to be dumping mipmaps without the base textures. Although maybe there are some situations that I currently haven't been in. And like you said, might as well have "Dump Arbitrary Textures" turn off in the UI if you aren't dumping the other ones.

One thing, does the "Dump Arbitrary Textures" option make the "Arbitrary Mipmap Detection" option in the Enhancements tab redundant? It seems like it won't dump arbitrary textures unless you have both turned on currently. I'm not sure if the new option is accomplishing the same thing performance wise as the older option. I hope I'm explaining that well enough. I don't know whether or not it would be wise to somehow link those too options as well, assuming they aren't doing exactly the same thing.
Thank you frozenwings for your feedback. I am not sure how often you check github, so I wanted to let you know I left some additional things to think about.
Pages: 1 2