Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What actually is the Hyrule Field speed hack and why is it needed still?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've been wondering about this for a while and have two main questions.

What does the speed hack actually do and why does it ruin the minimap?

Why is it needed still with the improvements in Dolphin over the past few years? I understand why MMU and bounding box emulation is expensive but don't understand how Twilight Princess gets affected

I've tried researching what it does and got no where. Also I'm not sure if this is the right section for this so feel free to move this post
The minimap in Twilight Princess uses an obscene amount of draw calls, especially in large areas. The GameCube and Wii are significantly faster at handling the way the minimap is drawn compared to the approach Dolphin emulates it with on PC. The speedhack removes parts of the minimap rendering, making the number of draw calls lower (but still not super low).
Huh, weird. Is it something that might be fixed sometime in the future or is it just not reasonable to emulate in an efficient way?
As long as you use something other than opengl you can get some reasonable performance
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2019/04/01/...the-future
Performance chart a little bit below