Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How well will this laptop play games and perform Dolphin in general?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Specs:
-Processor: Intel i5-9300h
-Processor Speed: 2.4 gigahertz (Base), 4.1 Gigahertz (Overclock)
-Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
-RAM: 8 GB (Expandable to 32)
-Resolution: 1920x1080
-Storage: 256 GB SSD.

I mainly play the Wii Sonic games, Cars 1,2 and Race-o-Rama, Fishing Resort, and both Epic Mickeys. How well will these games perform with HD settings? Possibly normal settings?
I am buying this laptop soon, so I wanted to get some insight. The laptop is an Acer Nitro 5.
You shouldn't have any problems as far as I can tell. Your CPU is pretty good for a laptop. Never assume you'll be able to hit the Turbo Boost frequencies on laptops (that always depends on cooling), so you want a high base clock. 2.4GHz from a 9th Intel Core CPU is a very good number for Dolphin. I don't think any of those games you listed are especially demanding on the CPU or GPU, so I'd imagine you won't have any trouble hitting full speed at 1080p. The GTX 1050 is more than capable of handling HD resolutions in Dolphin.

I think it'd be a great purchase if you're looking at playing Dolphin. Just make sure to 1) use the latest development revisions and 2) either plug-in your laptop to an outlet while gaming or adjust the relevant power management settings when running on battery power (some systems cut back GPU performance on battery unless you explicitly tell them not to)
(05-03-2020, 12:14 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]You shouldn't have any problems as far as I can tell. Your CPU is pretty good for a laptop. Never assume you'll be able to hit the Turbo Boost frequencies on laptops (that always depends on cooling), so you want a high base clock. 2.4GHz from a 9th Intel Core CPU is a very good number for Dolphin. I don't think any of those games you listed are especially demanding on the CPU or GPU, so I'd imagine you won't have any trouble hitting full speed at 1080p. The GTX 1050 is more than capable of handling HD resolutions in Dolphin.

I think it'd be a great purchase if you're looking at playing Dolphin. Just make sure to 1) use the latest development revisions and 2) either plug-in your laptop to an outlet while gaming or adjust the relevant power management settings when running on battery power (some systems cut back GPU performance on battery unless you explicitly tell them not to)

Perfect!