Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My hardware is good enough to run Excite Truck fullspeed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!
I recently dumped my Wii Nand (with the saves all the way back to 2006) to switch permanently my Wii gaming on my pc with Dolphin but I'm struggling to get Excite Truck to run at a decent framerate.

My hardware is:

AMD Ryzen 3600X
AMD/Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 (8GB)
16GB ram (Crucial Ballistix Sport) 3200MHz (CL16)
WD Blue 4TB 5400rpm <- I'm currently using this as the main HDD and also to store my Wii rips, but I plan to move the OS to a SSD soon. Can it be the culprit for the slowdowns? But I think it's faster than the Wii dvd reader...

I'm using Dolphin 5.0-11984 on Windows 10 and I'm struggling to get more than 20fps in game.

My config is:

(general)
Enable dual core on
DSP HLE emulation on
CPU emulation: Jit Recompiler

(graphics)
Vulkan
Asynchronous Ubershaders (with "compile shaders before starting" enabled)
3x Native
no antialiasing
anisotropic 1x
Scaled EFB copy on
Per-Pixel Lighting on
Force 24 bit color on
Disable copy filter on
Arbitrary mipmap detection on

Skip EFB access to CPU on
Ignore format changes on
Defer EFB copies to RAM on
Texture cache accuracy all the way to "fast"
GPU texture decoding on
Store XFB to texture only on
Fast depth calculation on
Disable bounding box on
Save texture cache to state on

Backend multithreading on

I'm doing something wrong or my hardware is simply too weak to run ET at 30fps?
Is it just that one game or all of them. It might be that game could be demanding. It might also be worth trying a different backend like direct 11 or 12
(04-30-2020, 04:20 PM)SeiBiT Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!
I recently dumped my Wii Nand (with the saves all the way back to 2006) to switch permanently my Wii gaming on my pc with Dolphin but I'm struggling to get Excite Truck to run at a decent framerate.

My hardware is:

AMD Ryzen 3600X
AMD/Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 (8GB)
16GB ram (Crucial Ballistix Sport) 3200MHz (CL16)
WD Blue 4TB 5400rpm <- I'm currently using this as the main HDD and also to store my Wii rips, but I plan to move the OS to a SSD soon. Can it be the culprit for the slowdowns? But I think it's faster than the Wii dvd reader...

I'm using Dolphin 5.0-11984 on Windows 10 and I'm struggling to get more than 20fps in game.

My config is:

(general)
Enable dual core on
DSP HLE emulation on
CPU emulation: Jit Recompiler

(graphics)
Vulkan
Asynchronous Ubershaders (with "compile shaders before starting" enabled)
3x Native
no antialiasing
anisotropic 1x
Scaled EFB copy on
Per-Pixel Lighting on
Force 24 bit color on
Disable copy filter on
Arbitrary mipmap detection on

Skip EFB access to CPU on
Ignore format changes on
Defer EFB copies to RAM on
Texture cache accuracy all the way to "fast"
GPU texture decoding on
Store XFB to texture only on
Fast depth calculation on
Disable bounding box on
Save texture cache to state on

Backend multithreading on

I'm doing something wrong or my hardware is simply too weak to run ET at 30fps?

Let me rip my copy of Excite Truck and I'll report back, your system should be more than enough to run the game at native speeds (probably 30FPS)
(05-01-2020, 06:46 AM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]Let me rip my copy of Excite Truck and I'll report back, your system should be more than enough to run the game at native speeds (probably 30FPS)

Ripped my copy which (apparently) is a PAL copy: runs perfectly at a steady 60FPS (utilizing PAL60) in game. 3xIR, 2xSSAA (for 1080p upscaled to 4k), 16x AF, all settings:
all the ticks turned on under hacks, and fastest (shouldn't matter too much as the game ini will change what is needed to run perfectly). Running DX12+Async uber+Compile before start. HLE WASAPI Sound, and all enhancements turned on except for widescreen hack and disable fog.

Specs for my computer are in my profile (i9 9900k + RTX2080ti) must say that 4xIR + 8x SSAA also gives me huge frame drops to 40 or even 30 all the time, all the while other games run perfectly on these settings, but I know that that is the nature of Emulation.
Now I'm trying other games (i tried Onechambara and Dragon Quest Swords) and it seems that only ET has problems. I tried launching it at 8x internal and the fps stayed the same around the 15-20 mark so it's not GPU-limited, probably my CPU isn't beefy enough for this, a sad truth Smile
I use my r7 3700x and rtx 2070 computer and it was fine at least for the training part. For dolphin the r7 is only like 1-2 percent faster. Also as I said in a previous post have you you tried the direct x 11 or 12 backend. Opengl tends to perform poorly on AMD GPU which is why I didn't recommend that backend to test. I had issue with f zero gx that require me to change the backend to get full speed. This is fix in the current build but it serves as an example.
If there's no difference even at 1x IR, then it's likely a CPU/system bottleneck

Make sure you have cheats turned off, I think that can cause some stuttering issues.

Also make sure you don't have any vsync options enabled - either in dolphin or in the gpu control panel.

Maybe try disabling dual core?

Oh, and make sure you haven't enabled the "Speed up disk transfers" option - it can mess with the timings of some games and make things /slower/.
(05-05-2020, 11:33 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]If there's no difference even at 1x IR, then it's likely a CPU/system bottleneck

Make sure you have cheats turned off, I think that can cause some stuttering issues.

Also make sure you don't have any vsync options enabled - either in dolphin or in the gpu control panel.

Maybe try disabling dual core?

Oh, and make sure you haven't enabled the "Speed up disk transfers" option - it can mess with the timings of some games and make things /slower/.

Disabling cheats did the magic! Now it's steadily around 50-60fps. I've also disabled bluetooth passthrough because it gave me often black screens on startup. I tried DirectX 12 but it gave me a lot of graphical glitches.

like this.

But Vulkan runs fine now. Thank you Smile