Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Disabling "Skip presenting duplicate frames" - crashes Metroid Prime Series
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Below is a post I made on the Reddit dolphin forum, been experiencing this for a while and just now I believe I've found the culprit - the "Skip presenting duplicate frames" option.

This option was greatly appreciated when it appeared as it made 30fps games tolerable, Wind Waker/Luigi's Mansion's constant stutters before were virtually eliminated when this was disabled, so I just left it as such. Finally was able to narrow down it being the cause of my Metroid Prime troubles and why the builds after this feature were introduced all had the issue, guess most people just aren't using it that much. With it enabled (which is how it was before this option was introduced in Dolphin) the MP series plays normally now. Disabled it, boom back to the behavior I describe below.

My post on reddit:
________

Anyone else getting problems launching Metroid Prime (Gamecube) and MP Trilogy (Wii) with the releases over the past two months? I eventually went back to 11516 and they work perfectly with that release, but anything around the last two beta releases over the past couple of months causes the following:

Metroid Prime Gamecube - Starting the game full screen, video never progresses. If you switch the Windowed you can get in the game, but it will eventually hang after you've been in the game for 30sec-1 minute.

Metroid Prime Trilogy - Hangs on load 9 times out of 10, with "Question?" empty dialog, has to be killed through task manager.

Backend doesn't matter - tried Vulkan/D3D 11+12/OpenGl. Disabled any texture packs + other enhancements with no change. Verified integrity of iso.

Specs:

GTX 1660

Latest Nvidia Drivers

i5 9400f

16gb
Does the crash happen if you turn off Dual Core mode in Dolphin?
(04-18-2020, 12:43 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Does the crash happen if you turn off Dual Core mode in Dolphin?

With dual-core disabled, MP gives me these on startup, regardless of the duplicate frame setting:

[Image: image.png] [Image: image.png]
Do you have GPU Texture Decoding enabled?

I was experimenting with Call of Duty 2: Big Red One and when I unchecked Skip Presenting Duplicate Frames I encountered similar problems as you reported with Metroid Prime.

However, enabling GPU Texture Decoding seems to have fixed the issue for CoD2.
I've noticed a similar opcode related bug whenever a texture pack over 4GB is loaded to RAM. Do you have a texture pack for MP1 enabled?