Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I don't understand portable.txt at all
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there...
I installed Dolphin 5.0 official using the installer.
I created a file called portable.txt inside the install folder.

I then installed the latest daily build.

The daily build is keeping it's preferences normally on close and restart.

However, the 'stable' release V5.0 is not keeping any settings at all (as evidence by it asking for permission to send data on each startup, and the theme resetting).

So on one hand, it's doing its job in that it's not interfering with the settings of the latest release nor is it getting its settings from there.

However the portable file remains blank and I am unable to save any permanent settings for that 5.0 build.

Any ideas what I can do? I don't want to change all the settings every single time it starts up, or is this actually what's *supposed* to happen?

TKS!

PS I did do a search before posting but there were so many results and after about half hour I hadn't found the one that helped me so though it ok to make my own topic.
If you installed Dolphin to Program Files or a similar location, the problem is probably that Dolphin can't write to that folder because it requires special permissions. If you want to use portable.txt with the stable version of Dolphin, I would suggest copying all the files of the Dolphin install to a different folder and running it from there.
(04-12-2020, 11:59 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]If you installed Dolphin to Program Files or a similar location, the problem is probably that Dolphin can't write to that folder because it requires special permissions. If you want to use portable.txt with the stable version of Dolphin, I would suggest copying all the files of the Dolphin install to a different folder and running it from there.

Yeah I just did the default program files install with the actual dolphin installer.

Ok so it's safe to move those, really?

Will it not much about with my registry?

Is it even ok to just run it off my D drive rather than C? (D is just a data drive where roms and steam games are installed, windows is on the C drive).

I must admit I'm getting 60 FPS even in Rogue Squadron 2 (yep, i bought the 10$ one, was so scratched, you wouldn't believe what we went through to rip it.. ended up having to go to another friend that has a repair machine and it took 5 passes to get it to work).
But when i change views it stutters, even with all 6 cores at 4.3ghz and the GTX 1070. So I guess there is no machine that can really do that, cause this happens even at just 720P.. I tried all the shader settings as well as compile before start so I am not sure what else to try. However other stuff is working fine thus far even at 1080P.

I have one more possibly stupid question. Is it ok to enable the exclusive WMD audio mode? I presumed it might actually perform better in this mode.. I am not needing the audio device for any other sounds when I am playing Dolphin. I have NO idea what this cubeD is for example but I do know WMD is windows driver model.

Thanking u.
(04-13-2020, 12:26 AM)pazzap Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so it's safe to move those, really?

Will it not much about with my registry?

Copying the files to another folder is fine. But you should preferably not remove the files from Program Files in any way other than using the uninstaller.

(04-13-2020, 12:26 AM)pazzap Wrote: [ -> ]Is it even ok to just run it off my D drive rather than C? (D is just a data drive where roms and steam games are installed, windows is on the C drive).

Yes, that's fine.
Ok thanks as always JosJuice.

Also, how do you feel about using the WMD audio driver mode? Do you use that one yourself or CubeD?
(04-13-2020, 03:10 AM)pazzap Wrote: [ -> ]Also, how do you feel about using the WMD audio driver mode? Do you use that one yourself or CubeD?

I'm not familiar with either of two names (though I'm assuming that the latter is a misspelling of Cubeb, which I use personally).
(04-13-2020, 03:33 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not familiar with either of two names (though I'm assuming that the latter is a misspelling of Cubeb, which I use personallm
i am so sorry, yes, spelling erors.
The other mode is selected where Cube b is in w drop down menu and is basically an exclusive mode that talks directly to audio interface. Theoretically this *should* mean better latency.
WASAPI (the exclusive mode) is available only on Windows and indeed can achieve better latency, but, as a trade off, all other running programs from your computer will be muted while you're playing a game in Dolphin. If that's undesirable, switch back to Cubeb and, perhaps, try lowering the default 20 ms latency (but beware of too low values, which might result in audio crackling)...
(04-13-2020, 12:49 PM)pazzap Wrote: [ -> ]The other mode is selected where Cube b is in w drop down menu and is basically an exclusive mode that talks directly to audio interface. Theoretically this *should* mean better latency.

Indeed, the latency is a bit better. But it won't help with performance in any other way.
Hi, sorry, I don't know why I called it WMD.

EDIT: Yes I do, that's what a couple music programs called it. So sorry.

There was ASIO and WMD.

Yes when I am playing games I have no need for anything else to have sound, so that's what I'll use. I mean in the event of urgency one can always save and quit dolphin anyway and go do what else they had to do.. Not so much more time consuming than pausing these days Smile

I'll be using wasapi.The best latency is desirable to have the closest sound timing to actions. I'm also only using wired controllers to help in that department also (reduce lag).