Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [SOLVED] Dolphin crashes on startup, "OGL ERROR"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Every time I try to start a game, I get a window which says this:
"GPU: OGL ERROR: Need OpenGL version 3.
GPU: Does your video card support OpenGL 3?"

I ran inxi -Gxx in the Terminal, and this was the output:
OpenGL:
renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express (CTG)
v: 2.1 Mesa 20.0.4

So, it seems like I have OpenGL version v2.1. I'm not sure if my computer can support OpenGL v3.0, but if it doesn't, are there older versions of Dolphin which don't require OpenGL v3.0, but instead maybe only require v2.0?
I don't think it does, dolphin 4 and early might boot but looking but in your profile your list a Intel Core2 Duo T6670. That cpu isn't really suited for dolphin even it it could boot it. You be better off getting a new computer if the option there. You could buy one for around 300-400 (possible less if used) if you know what you looking for that is. If you going used computer you could even get laptops that would be able to.
Dolphin has moved from GL 2 a lot of time ago (the most recent GL API version that GPUs support currently is 4.6). And as stated already, you seriously need to consider an upgrade to a new computer.
(04-08-2020, 05:43 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin has moved from GL 2 a lot of time ago (the most recent GL API version that GPUs support currently is 4.6). And as stated already, you seriously need to consider an upgrade to a new computer.

Thank you for your response. I realize my computer is outdated (it's from 2006), but it's the one I have at the moment and I can't get an upgrade, so I still want to try to get this program working. I checked dolphin release version 4.0, and that's the latest one which supports OpenGL version 2.1, so it's the one I'm going to run. However, when I try running the make command to complete the installation of it, I get this output:
"297 |  avformat_write_header(s_FormatContext, NULL);

|  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

make[2]: *** [Source/Core/VideoCommon/CMakeFiles/videocommon.dir/build.make:639: Source/Core/VideoCommon/CMakeFiles/videocommon.dir/Src/AVIDump.cpp.o] Error 1

make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/konrad/Programs/dolphin'

make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:966: Source/Core/VideoCommon/CMakeFiles/videocommon.dir/all] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/konrad/Programs/dolphin'

make: *** [Makefile:169: all] Error 2"

Knows anyone here what the problem is? 
I'm not sure how to properly fix that problem, but you should be able to avoid compiling that optional file by turning off the CMake option ENCODE_FRAMEDUMPS.
(04-08-2020, 06:29 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure how to properly fix that problem, but you should be able to avoid compiling that optional file by turning off the CMake option ENCODE_FRAMEDUMPS.

I'll try that, thanks. Also, is there a way to change the base requirements of the current version to OpenGL 2.1 locally? A setting somewhere in the code? And if there is, where?
Current video code gone through several rewrites since 4.0, you definitely won't be able to do that just by changing a line or two in code...
(04-08-2020, 10:43 AM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Current video code gone through several rewrites since 4.0, you definitely won't be able to do that just by changing a line or two in code...

So there's no way for me to run Dolphin on my current computer? All old versions I've tried fail during the make process as well..
I managed to solve it myself. If anyone in the future is having the same problem, here's what I did to get Dolphin running on my 2006 Thinkpad:
I went to the page and downloaded the 4.0 Dolphin stable release for windows. I then started it with wine, and the game could boot.

Still, thanks for your help everyone. Much appreciated still.
Note that any issues present in 4.0 have been fixed time ago (and thus, you won´t receive official support). If things start exploding, you´ll be on your own.