Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Prefetch Textures crashes Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there. I just started a new gameplay of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. I'm using Dolphin 5.0-11824. I'm playing in 1080p, with HD Textures, and Ubershaders enabled, to avoid stuttering. Traying a few versions of the emulator, I discovered that Asynchronous Ubershaders completely corrects stuttering, but only without HD Textures. If I use HD Textures, the stuttering still occurs, although not as bad as without Ubershaders, this is for Metroid Prime 1, 2, and 3. So, in Metroid Prime 1, I tried Prefetching the textures to RAM, and stuttering completely dissappears. But, in Metroid Prime 3, If I prefetch the textures, the emulator works for about a minute of two, and then it freezes, and then crashes. One thing that I observed, is that the Metroid Prime 3 textures are 9.25 gigabytes, the triple of Metroid Prime 3. So, the question would be, is there any way to prevent Dolphin of crashing prefetching the textures?
There's a possibility you don't have enough RAM to store the textures once they're in memory. They tend to be a lot bigger than they are on disk.
(03-31-2020, 07:06 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]There's a possibility you don't have enough RAM to store the textures once they're in memory.  They tend to be a lot bigger than they are on disk.

The thing is, the emulator crashes on loading approximately 9 gigas on RAM. Could there be any other thing? I would think that 32 gigas of RAM would be enough for pretty much anything.
I believe I found a workaround for the problem. I tried a virtual RAM disk, loading all the emulator with the textures into the RAM. So far it seems to work, but the problem is that everytime I shutdown the RAM disk, it needs to sync all the data to the SSD folder. And, being the textures 9.25 GB, it takes forever to sync, even in the SSD disk. So, I believe that if I could simply make a disk image of the textures only, I could load them to the RAM disk, and shut it down whenever I want, because the textures don't change and therefore there is no need to sync them. So, my question is, is there any way to load the textures from a different folder than the emulator->User->Load->Textures folder or the folder in "my documents"? This way, I could simply load the textures in the Virtual RAM disk.
(04-18-2020, 04:13 AM)paraemuladores Wrote: [ -> ]So, my question is, is there any way to load the textures from a different folder than the emulator->User->Load->Textures folder or the folder in "my documents"? This way, I could simply load the textures in the Virtual RAM disk.

Yes. Use the setting Config > Paths > Load Path. The path you set there will be used instead of User/Load/.
Worked like a charm!! Thanks a lot, JosJuice!!!