Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What steps do I need to take to distribute custom apk without violating license?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

4rnge

I am new here so hopefully this is the correct place to post this. I have been working on adding some features to the android version of dolphin, and I am wondering what steps I need to take in order to distribute an apk on github without violating the license agreement. Would it be acceptable to just include the apk in a fork of the repository? The fork contains all of the changes that I made that are in the apk, and the fork contains the license and links to the main dolphin repository. Is there anything else that I need to include?
That sounds good to me. Just remember to update the source code every time you update the APK, because it is critical that the source code matches the APK.

By the way (and this by no means a requirement for following the license), but GitHub's releases feature would probably be a convenient way to host APKs. It's more user-friendly than putting the APK in the repository itself (not to mention it keeps the repository smaller), and it directly links each APK to the corresponding version of the source code without you having to do much other than specifying which commit it should use.

4rnge

(03-27-2020, 06:21 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]That sounds good to me. Just remember to update the source code every time you update the APK, because it is critical that the source code matches the APK.

By the way (and this by no means a requirement for following the license), but GitHub's releases feature would probably be a convenient way to host APKs. It's more user-friendly than putting the APK in the repository itself (not to mention it keeps the repository smaller), and it directly links each APK to the corresponding version of the source code without you having to do much other than specifying which commit it should use.

Thank you for the quick response! I will definitely check out the release feature for github.  

Tangs

(03-28-2020, 02:44 AM)4rnge Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the quick response! I will definitely check out the release feature for github.  

Hi 4rnge,
I'm curious about what you changed to the android version? I'm an Nvidia Shield (2019) user and even the last apk version of Dolphin is struggling with the shield.
Maybe I could help you by testing some new features or elses.

4rnge

(03-28-2020, 06:25 AM)Tangs Wrote: [ -> ]Hi 4rnge,
I'm curious about what you changed to the android version? I'm an Nvidia Shield (2019) user and even the last apk version of Dolphin is struggling with the shield.
Maybe I could help you by testing some new features or elses.

Sorry for the late response, I just noticed your reply. So far the only change I have added is some "analog" touch screen triggers that allow for partial presses of the triggers. They are built upon the touchscreen joysticks that dolphin uses,  but instead registers the input as a trigger press. I would link to my fork, but I took it down, I am however planning on re-forking it and remaking my changes. So if you are interested I could send you a link when I get it back up.
https://imgur.com/a/ICggR7W here are some pictures of what it looks like in game. Ignore the last one where the trigger is moving up at an angle that it shouldn't be able to, I fixed that.

If you are having UI issues with the shield I might be able to help, but other than that I don't have enough knowledge on the emulator itself to make any changes relating to performance. 

Tangs

(03-31-2020, 04:02 AM)4rnge Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for the late response, I just noticed your reply. So far the only change I have added is some "analog" touch screen triggers that allow for partial presses of the triggers. They are built upon the touchscreen joysticks that dolphin uses,  but instead registers the input as a trigger press. I would link to my fork, but I took it down, I am however planning on re-forking it and remaking my changes. So if you are interested I could send you a link when I get it back up.
https://imgur.com/a/ICggR7W here are some pictures of what it looks like in game. Ignore the last one where the trigger is moving up at an angle that it shouldn't be able to, I fixed that.

If you are having UI issues with the shield I might be able to help, but other than that I don't have enough knowledge on the emulator itself to make any changes relating to performance. 

Hi!I'm using a Nvidia Shield with controlers so I d'ont have touchscreen SmileHowever, If you are planning on making games run better on Android device, I'll be glad to help by testing your fork Smile
Not even him can make Dolphin run faster on Android devices... so don't get your hopes up...

Even High-end top of the line android devices are still way too slow to run Dolphin at full speed without any hacks, and the hacks can and will break one or more games, also possible speedhacks are already implemented in Dolphin.

The problem you will see is that after the android devices have become fast enough is that the firmware/software/drivers on the android devices are still buggy, messy and broken, causing Dolphin to still not work properly. This is not the fault of Dolphin but of the Android device and their manufacturer (e.g. Samsung, Huawei etc.) and thus cannot be fixed by the Dolphin team.

Also "testing your fork" lol... What you meant to say was: I will be glad to use your fork without giving any feedback ever or if you give feedback it is going to be complaining about that games still don't work or don't work fast enough instead of actual testing...