Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 60 FPS to 30 FPS with 100% Speed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Luks_18

I am experiencing some issues in games like "Sonic Adventure 2:Battle" and "Naruto: Clash of Ninja (series)", these games run natively at 60 FPS, but it's actually running at 30-40 FPS, making it play slower, but other games like Zelda "Twilight Princess" doesn't have this problem because it runs natively at 30 FPS, so it plays at full speed.

So my question is, is there a way to make 60 FPS games run at 30 FPS at 100% Speed?

I saw some threads about making 30 to 60, but when I search for 60 to 30 it only appears people wanting the other one.

Is there some way to configure to that I can play these games at full speed? I don't care if it's 30 FPS, I just want fluid gameplay.

Maybe skipping one frame so that it runs at 30 FPS? But I already tried using the Frame Skipping option, but the game looks much laggier than it should be.

Well, this is my first thread, I never saw anyone talking about this so I decided to post it.
I would really appreciate some help!
EDIT: Before doing anything, you should update your Dolphin version. Your profile lists 3.5, which is ancient and frankly, just terrible. You will get more features and more performance by upgraded to the latest dev build, so you really should do so! You can get the latest Dolphin dev build from here on our site, just click Download in the header above!

Most games on the GameCube and Wii use the framerate to time game logic. These games cannot have their framerate raised or lowered without directly affecting the speed of that game logic. So for most games, hacks to change the game's speed will just make the whole game go slower or faster. Uncoupling the game logic from the framerate in these games is basically impossible for anyone without the game's source code.

However, there are some games that don't tie game logic to framerate. These are usually games with fast action that would benefit from dropping frames rather than slowing down during spikes of usage that exceed the console's capabilities. So these games will have their own built in frameskip system to handle that scenario, and that of course requires that they can't time game logic with the framerate. -In these specific games- if you underclock the emulated CPU with Dolphin's tools (config -> advanced) you can engage the game's frameskip and run at a lower framerate. Do note however that this is a challenging situation for accurate frametimes, so you'll probably get some microstutter. Exclusive fullscreen will help but not fix that issue.

And remember, this will only work in a small percentage of games. Most games tie their logic to the framerate and/or have no internal frameskip, and will just slow down if you reduce the emulated CPU clock.

Also the feature to adjust CPU clock is only available on recent-ish Dolphin versions.
Also, a very small number of games have hacks (Gecko codes or similar) available to make them run at 30 fps instead of 60 fps. The only one I can recall right now is Mario Kart Wii.
So I had used a gecko code on Dolphin to cap my FPS at 30. When I had tried to play online, I got told from my friends that were in the MKW worldwide that it had mad their game extremely slow and about to crash, when it was decent on my end. Is that a normal instance, and going off that, is it recommended to use this online?

Thank you