Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Newb needs help please.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

FraserAllan

Hey,

So Im just trying to figure out the best version of Dolphin and settings for my macbook.

Im currently running version 5.0-9413 (as it was the latest one that I could get to work) on a Mid 2015 Mac Book Pro with OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Processor 2.2 Intel Core i7
Memory 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Is the the best version of Dolphin for me and what are all the best Config or Graphic settings?

I have no idea what any of it means. Just an old Nintendo fan wanting to relieve my childhood :-) x

Any help will be very much appreciated peeps.
The newest versions require macOS 10.12 or later, so the version you have is probably as good as it gets for you (assuming it works).

For the settings, you can just leave everything at the default initially. Then you can try to turn up some of the settings at Graphics > Enhancements until you notice that Dolphin starts running slower. Many of the settings can just be left at their default values unless you have a particular reason to change them.

FraserAllan

(03-20-2020, 05:09 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]The newest versions require macOS 10.12 or later, so the version you have is probably as good as it gets for you (assuming it works).

For the settings, you can just leave everything at the default initially. Then you can try to turn up some of the settings at Graphics > Enhancements until you notice that Dolphin starts running slower. Many of the settings can just be left at their default values unless you have a particular reason to change them.

Hey,

Thanks so much for getting back man Big Grin . I'll play about them then.

Any idea why I get the message;

"Your OpenGL driver does not support ARB_buffer_storage.
The device's performance will be terrible.
Please ask your device vendor for an updated OpenGL driver."

I have no idea what it means haha
(03-20-2020, 07:40 AM)FraserAllan Wrote: [ -> ]Hey,

Thanks so much for getting back man Big Grin . I'll play about them then.

Any idea why I get the message;

"Your OpenGL driver does not support ARB_buffer_storage.
The device's performance will be terrible.
Please ask your device vendor for an updated OpenGL driver."

I have no idea what it means haha

It's because Apple's OpenGL support isn't very up to date at all. They have no plans for fixing it, so there's not really anything you can do about it. (Actually, there is one thing you can do: running Vulkan over MoltenVK instead of running OpenGL. But this doesn't work on your version of macOS.)
Well you could run bootcamp and use windows which would have better opengl support as well as direct 11 and direct 12 also. That said you would have to worry about getting a windows key and getting use to windows if you not use to it when you use for dolphin. Also I don't think that integrated card at least in windows or mac(maybe it does in linux) support vulken either. From what I could find that macbook use a 4gen cpu with iris pro 5200 so it should be able to run dolphin reasonable well if it able to cool itself well.