Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Kind of old notebook and Super Mario Wii issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(03-17-2020, 04:55 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Most (if not all) GameCube and Wii games have the game speed tied to the FPS. That means that if the FPS drops below 60 (or 30 if it's a 30 FPS game) the actual game speed will slow down too and audio will also start cutting out (unless you enable audio stretching). PS4 and most current games, however, doesn't have the game speed tied to FPS, so the FPS can drop without making the game go slower.

Now to the actual troubleshooting: how exactly are you selecting the NVIDIA GPU? The correct way to do it is to go to the NVIDIA Control Panel, locate Dolphin profile on the list (or add a new profile) and select "Prefer NVIDIA GPU". Don't leave it on Auto Select and don't try to select the GPU from Dolphin. Does it still run slow? If yes, try monitoring your CPU and GPU temperatures to make sure you're not thermal throttling due overheating...

I did exactly like this. 

I have checked both temps before the CPU swap and upgrade some days ago with an Aida64 stress test. Both the CPUs, that have the same tpd don't get past 88 in Aida (81 in game) and the GPUs don't get past 71. But these are laptops, I think this has to be expected.

No throtthle, according to Aida64.
(03-17-2020, 06:17 PM)brand Wrote: [ -> ]I did exactly like this. 

I have checked both temps before the CPU swap and upgrade some days ago with an Aida64 stress test. Both the CPUs, that have the same tpd don't get past 88 in Aida (81 in game) and the GPUs don't get past 71. But these are laptops, I think this has to be expected.

No throtthle, according to Aida64.

While not dangerous enough, that´s rather close to the 100 degree limit* both CPUs have before shutting themselves down.

*There are two temps to be considered: Tcase and Tjunction. Tjunction is the absolute max temperature the processor can reach while under heavy workload (and before throttling and cooldown mechanisms kick in). Tcase is the max temp a CPU can reach while having a heat spreader on top of it, this one is used as assessment for system designers. For our matters here, we´ll concentrate on Tjunction.

More info here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...ssors.html
(03-18-2020, 12:57 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]While not dangerous enough, that´s rather close to the 100 degree limit* both CPUs have before shutting themselves down.

*There are two temps to be considered: Tcase and Tjunction. Tjunction is the absolute max temperature the processor can reach while under heavy workload (and before throttling and cooldown mechanisms kick in). Tcase is the max temp a CPU can reach while having a heat spreader on top of it, this one is used as assessment for system designers. For our matters here, we´ll concentrate on Tjunction.

More info here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...ssors.html

Thank you for clearing that out man Smile

I now think that I might end up playing at native resolution Sad . I have tried to mess around with some hacks and tweaks but I got no improvements Sad

I wish there could be a way to scale it up at 1,5x that is a little more eye-pleasing.
Fractional upscaling (like 1.5x) have been removed because they can break your save file
(03-18-2020, 10:48 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Fractional upscaling (like 1.5x) have been removed because they can break your save file

Oh, that is so bad for my system Sad
Ok, seriously: is there any additiona hack or mod or setting I can try to:

A: smoothen up the graphics on native resolution (MSAA and anti aliasing don't make much difference)

B: try to achieve thos 60 fps on 2x scaling

I could try to overclock the GPU with MSI afterburner or similar softwares but I would need to heavily mod the notebook. That is undoable these days of quarantine for the lack of supplies from China.
If you insisted on using GL while using the integrated Intel GPU, that´s as far as you will get.

You should be able to use D3D11 with the GT540M.
(03-20-2020, 02:07 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]If you insisted on using GL while using the integrated Intel GPU, that´s as far as you will get.

You should be able to use D3D11 with the GT540M.

I managed to use DX11 and the GT540M, at least that's what the emulator and the Nvidia activity notification say.
So, it seems that I might have fixed the problem.

I Have tried Dolphin 5.0, not a developer build, just plain and old 5.0. Well, with my setup at 2x resolution I get constant 60fps in New Mario Wii and also mario kart is kinda playable!

A little worst performance on my other laptop that is slightly lower spec'd.
Pages: 1 2