Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Buying a new laptop! Will it run Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

antonxxx

Hey everyone, new here! I have done a decent amount of research today but I seem to be getting conflicting answers and information from people. Not too technically savvy so I spent the past 5 hours doing research before posting here. I don't have any interest in playing any games on my laptop other than Wii and Gamecube games.... Xbox, PS4, Steam, all that junk does not interest me so i am trying to simply meet GC/Wii requirements!

I have my eye on this for multiple reasons but the only thing I am unsure of is the CPU not being high enough for all the Zelda titles and other large games:

Acer Aspire 3

AMD Ryzen R7 3700U  /  256GB SSD  /  Windows 10

2.3GHz Quad Core Processor  /  12GB DDR4 RAM

[color=#1d252c]Processor Cache :   [/color][color=#1d252c]2 MB L2 cache[/color]

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/14273223

I keep seeing 3.0 Ghz is the minimum recommended CPU but even when I check out these fancy $900-$1000 gaming computers at my local Canadian Best Buy store, under the specs, the CPU is listed at an average of 2.3 - 2.8 or so.... Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help in advance!   Angel
(03-13-2020, 06:39 AM)antonxxx Wrote: [ -> ]Hey everyone, new here! I have done a decent amount of research today but I seem to be getting conflicting answers and information from people. Not too technically savvy so I spent the past 5 hours doing research before posting here. I don't have any interest in playing any games on my laptop other than Wii and Gamecube games.... Xbox, PS4, Steam, all that junk does not interest me so i am trying to simply meet GC/Wii requirements!

I have my eye on this for multiple reasons but the only thing I am unsure of is the CPU not being high enough for all the Zelda titles and other large games:

Acer Aspire 3

AMD Ryzen R7 3700U  /  256GB SSD  /  Windows 10

2.3GHz Quad Core Processor  /  12GB DDR4 RAM

[color=#1d252c]Processor Cache :   [/color][color=#1d252c]2 MB L2 cache[/color]

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/14273223

I keep seeing 3.0 Ghz is the minimum recommended CPU but even when I check out these fancy $900-$1000 gaming computers at my local Canadian Best Buy store, under the specs, the CPU is listed at an average of 2.3 - 2.8 or so.... Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help in advance!   Angel

This minimum speed has been set up for older CPU's, any recent CPU will do as long as it isn't a low power or ULV version as those are not made to run at high speeds and will slow down A LOT when they get too hot, which is easy for these as they are usually put in laptops that don't have enough thermal dissipation. The same is true for higher end CPU's but those are usually put in better cooling laptops.