Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Improper GameCube Font Fix Doesn't Work (Star Fox: Assault)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've recently started playing some GameCube games again. After reading the Wiki and testing it myself, I've noticed the mentioned GameCube font issues in Star Fox: Assault.
As mentioned in the Wiki. I successfully acquired my GameCube BIOS ROM, renamed it to IPL.bin and put it into the correct path (C:\Users\#NAMEHERE#\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\GC\USA).
I can confirm that the GC Main Menu runs, meaning that the Bios is most-likely not at fault.

Now to the problem, it did not fix the font issue! As you can see in the screenshot below, there are still issues happening and Dolphin still seems to use the built-in font, instead of the expected original GC font.
Did I do something wrong? Do I need to change settings in order for Dolphin to use the original GC font?

I'd appreciate any help! If this is no longer a solution, I'd like to request removal of that part of the Wiki, since it's no longer working as expected.

[Image: NPLD1Ey.png]

General Information:
- Using latest version of Dolphin
- Star Fox: Assault (USA Rom; Verified)
- NTSC GC BIOS ROM at correct size (V1.2)
- Default settings (Tested using: DX11, DX12, OpenGL)
- Tried different resolutions (Most noticeable on 1080p)
Does it still happen at 1x native?
(03-09-2020, 04:51 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]Does it still happen at 1x native?

Yes but it is less noticable on 1x native.
Those particular textures aren't from the GameCube font file. They're separate and because it's so small on an analog signal, it's unknown if it happens on console.
By the way, I just gave Pokémon Colosseum Bonus Disc a try using current development builds and the GameCube IPL font was correctly loaded even with "Skip Main Menu" enabled (in fact, you just need to have a valid IPL dump on the proper path and Dolphin will always use the IPL font). With that said, the font issue with Star Fox Adventure doesn't seem to be related to the presence/absence of a valid IPL dump.

I would like the confirmation from more people that own the game (I don't) before actually editing the game page on the wiki, though...
Below is the game running on an original console with game capture. The font issue does seem to be caused by Dolphin.
I'd like to provide more info but this stuff above is all I got. Both original and Dolphin GC fonts look very similar though, so it might actually be caused by Dolphin's font rendering itself.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying there's no issue with the game, I just want to confirm it's not related to the IPL font file before editing the wiki page...

Justyn

The IPL inside the dolphin folder did not fix it.
How is it fixable?

Justyn

I have the same problem. The Font is not fixable with the IPL File, unfortunately.
Is there a documented workarround on the Dolphin Emulator to enhance the quality of the font in Star Fox Assault yet?

Thank you.
Please see our rules about necroposting. For threads older than 6 months, we recommend making a new thread with as much information as possible. You can reference previous threads to help others understand the context of your problem as well.