Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dragon Quest X not launching
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

I'm trying to get Dragon Quest X Wii working in Dolphin. I have tried TOOLS > Load Wii System Menu 4.3j and then install the game as a channel. It seems to install fine but then when I try to launch it is failing. I choose the game and then it flashes a magenta screen for a second and freezes on a black screen. I have tried fiddling with gfx settings, openGL, Directx11 and 12, vulkan. I also googled for purple screen Dolphin issues and tried changing settings accordingly without any luck. I tried deleting GFX.ini in the Config folder and it didn't help either.

I have some interest in getting this running to share setup instructions with the Dragon Quest X community in order to preserve the 'offline mode' portion of the game which is currently not playable on any of the other platforms where DQX can be played. Currently the only way to access the 'offline mode' campaign is if you have access to a Japanese Wii and the original game media.

My PC setup should be sufficient and is as follows..
Intel Core i3-540
AMD Radeon RX 550
12gb ddr3

Any help would be amazing and thanks in advance.
Purple screen is caused by store xfb copies to texture only checked. Uncheck to fix it.
As for the crash, maybe try performing an update from the disk using dolphin's UI? You could also try disabling dual core. Maybe MMU needs to be on or something?
If those don't work, try creating a fresh nand to start over.
I have tried all of those things except creating a fresh nand. I'm not 100% sure how to go about that but I am going to uninstall Dolphin and start over from a fresh install. Will report back with my findings.

Thanks again.
Ok so I have tried everything you mentioned as well as removing Dolphin entirely and starting over with a fresh install. After installing the Japanese NAND and then re-installing the DQX channel the purple flash and subsequent black screen crash are gone however that has been replaced with a Wii screen saying (in Japanese) "The game could not be launched. Please press the HOME button on the remote to return to the Wii menu."

I can't see this as being a settings issue at this point. Any ideas?

Sorry in advance for the double post. Mods, if possible, please merge this post and my previous post when reviewing them. Thanks.
Ok sorry for the triple post but I have made more progress.

I was referencing the notes about running Dragon Quest X on Dolphin found here while trying to get everything working. https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...oku_Online

I couldn't get the game to run on the 5.0-11707 build I was using before so I decided to try using the build on that wiki page. Obviously its an older build but it seems to work fine. The game installed fine and booted right up, though I did need to have "Skip EFB Access from CPU" checked in order for it to get past the main menu. I was able to get through the main menu and intro section and into the playable part.

For the time being this should be playable on the older version but hopefully whatever is wrong with it can be corrected in the latest build so we don't need a separate version of Dolphin just to be about to play this one game.

Thanks again for the help guys.
(03-08-2020, 03:12 AM)sampson Wrote: [ -> ]Ok sorry for the triple post but I have made more progress.

I was referencing the notes about running Dragon Quest X on Dolphin found here while trying to get everything working. https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...oku_Online

I couldn't get the game to run on the 5.0-11707 build I was using before so I decided to try using the build on that wiki page. Obviously its an older build but it seems to work fine. The game installed fine and booted right up, though I did need to have "Skip EFB Access from CPU" checked in order for it to get past the main menu. I was able to get through the main menu and intro section and into the playable part.

For the time being this should be playable on the older version but hopefully whatever is wrong with it can be corrected in the latest build so we don't need a separate version of Dolphin just to be about to play this one game.

Thanks again for the help guys.

You should definitely try doing a bisection of what build broke the game.
I'm happy to try but i'm not sure how to go about doing that.
(03-08-2020, 01:29 PM)sampson Wrote: [ -> ]I'm happy to try but i'm not sure how to go about doing that.

Take the build that works and the build that doesn't, go halfway between them, try out that build, repeat until you find the build that broke it. Whatever that build changed will be the issue, so that change may be reverted or changed further.
Ah I see. Thats what I suspected. We use a similar process for troubleshooting in my line of work (electrician).

You install 12 light fixtures and turn the breaker on and it trips. Disconnect half of them. If it still trips its in the half thats still connected. If it doesnt trip then its in the disconnected half.

At any rate I will try to narrow it down some. It seems like there are tons of revisions and its not as simple as just booting the game. This one installs its own channel in order to play which takes around 25-30 minutes. With each bisection taking 30 minutes it could take ages to narrow down the problem.

I wonder if its feasible to leave the user/Dolphin Emulator files with the game installed on them and then hotswap the emulator folder for different versions?
(03-09-2020, 02:01 AM)sampson Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if its feasible to leave the user/Dolphin Emulator files with the game installed on them and then hotswap the emulator folder for different versions?

It depends. If you find that there is an old version where it works and a new version where it doesn't work, using the same installed files, then doing it that way should be fine. But if you get the same result no matter what version you're using (either it works on all versions or it doesn't work on any version, not counting versions prior to 5.0-5291), that means the problem likely is during the installation process, and you will have to redo the installation process on each version you test.
Pages: 1 2