Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Convert save file from Majoras Mask and OOT Collectors Edition to VC editions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey!

Been having a discussion with Admentus over in the texture forums regarding which version of Ocarina Of Time and Majora's Mask that plays best on Dolphin and we've come to the conclusion that both VC editions play much better with less lag.
However, I've put some time into both OoT and MM on the CE version and I'd rather not start again, especially with OoT.

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert my save files from the Collectors Edition to the VC versions?

Thanks!

overchill

Trust me its not possible
(without firmware hacking and jailbreaking)
(02-17-2020, 09:02 AM)overchill Wrote: [ -> ]Trust me its not possible
(without firmware hacking and jailbreaking)

That doesn't make sense... Dolphin doesn't have any firmware that's preventing you from editing save files. Either there is a way to convert (without any kind of jailbreaking) or there isn't.
Seems this ended up in the wrong forum, was ment to be in support, feel free to move it.
The best I can offer you is some useful AR Codes if you want to speed up progress.

Stuff like getting access to items, songs, masks, boss remains, equipment and so on. That might speed up sequences in Majora's Mask a lot. Majora's Mask is mostly programmed to let you redo everything each cycle. An example, you can get the Mirror Shield in Beneath the Well for example, save and go back to the first day, get rid of the Mirror Shield through an AR Code and redo the Beneath the Well sequence to obtain it again. Having a boss remains in your possession let's you skip directly to the boss of the dungeon... Well you don't even need to do the boss anymore... Except that you might need to watch the Giant's sequences, but that's just for the song (which you can get through AR codes as well).

You will need to redo the events in the Bomber's Notebook.

Safe stuff for example to speed up progress would be having the Hero's Bow early. That kind of stuff. Having all dungeon items is useful as well since that's the kind of stuff that resets with each cycle.

For Ocarina of Time, it can be a bit trickier, since the game doesn't constantly reset itself.

Another useful AR Code to speedup progress would be the levitation code, which let's you basically visit any area out of sequence. Useful for getting around within puzzles in dungeons. That kind of stuff.

Technically it's possible to carry over save date. The save data section for all OoT or MM versions doesn't really change, even on the GC or Wii. The container is just different. So you gotta inject it somehow into the VC.

If you have a hexeditor, you might try it yourself. Make sure you have your GC save in GCI format and that the GC and VC versions are the same region. Check the offset starting with the values !ZELDA. For a good Hexeditor, try HxD. I haven't done much research between both save format containers, so I didn't exactly know where the actual save data begins. But that part would need to be copied over into the VC save file. The save date section always starts with the string ZELDAZ, otherwise it corrupts your save file. Since OoT has three save slots, the string ZELDAZ could be present at least three times.

You best bet is obvious using AR Codes to speed up your progress. That will be much faster I can guarantee you.