Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: There is not enough space in the Wii system meory.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey! I've been having this issue for quite some time and I never got it sorted.

I can't save on any more Wii games, since I'm out of space.

https://i.imgur.com/s3ZE4GQ.png

I don't understand how the Wii saves work, are we limited to the Wii NAND size?
I've tried renaming my User/Wii folder so that Dolphin creates a new one, and that obviously works, but then I loose all my saves.

I don't even have that many games that I play.
I've tried creating a 2GB sd.raw file located in the Wii folder, but how do I move my saves to the sd card? Do I need to setup a Wii NAND to boot the full Wii menu?

My Wii folders size is 487 mb not counting the sd.raw file.

Thanks!
(02-16-2020, 07:46 PM)e2zippo Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand how the Wii saves work, are we limited to the Wii NAND size?

Yes.

(02-16-2020, 07:46 PM)e2zippo Wrote: [ -> ]I've tried creating a 2GB sd.raw file located in the Wii folder, but how do I move my saves to the sd card? Do I need to setup a Wii NAND to boot the full Wii menu?

Yes. Or well, actually, you can get by with just installing the Wii Menu and not any of the other system software that normally would need to be on a NAND. But the latter is actually easier to do, since you can install it all by using Dolphin's system update feature, either by right-clicking on a disc in the game list or by using Tools > Perform Online System Update.
(02-16-2020, 08:13 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Yes.

Yes. Or well, actually, you can get by with just installing the Wii Menu and not any of the other system software that normally would need to be on a NAND. But the latter is actually easier to do, since you can install it all by using Dolphin's system update feature, either by right-clicking on a disc in the game list or by using Tools > Perform Online System Update.

I managed to install Wii System Menu 4.3E and now I've moved several saves to the sd card, but it still says it's full?
And some of the save I can't move, they are grayed out.

I tried to move some more, but now it just said my sd card couldn't be used?
Hmm, I'm not sure why it would say that the SD card can't be used...

Do you perhaps have any channels on there as well? Those take up much more space than saves, so if you have a significant amount of them, removing those will be a lot more effective than removing saves from the NAND.
(02-16-2020, 08:34 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, I'm not sure why it would say that the SD card can't be used...

Do you perhaps have any channels on there as well? Those take up much more space than saves, so if you have a significant amount of them, removing those will be a lot more effective than removing saves from the NAND.

Restarted Dolphin and the sd card isĀ  there again
Just checked the channels and I have a lot of channels with just questions marks on them, have no idea what that is, I'll try and delete them, that's probably it.

Edit: there we go! Over 1000 blocks available! Must've installed some wads incorrectly at some point!

One other question, do I need to do anything else to be able to launch games from the System Menu? I just tried with Mega Man 9 and it just returned to the Menu.

Thanks!
(02-16-2020, 08:51 PM)e2zippo Wrote: [ -> ]One other question, do I need to do anything else to be able to launch games from the System Menu? I just tried with Mega Man 9 and it just returned to the Menu.

Did you do a full system update, or did you only install a Wii Menu WAD? Just the Wii Menu on its own won't be enough for launching channels from the Wii Menu.
(02-16-2020, 09:07 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Did you do a full system update, or did you only install a Wii Menu WAD? Just the Wii Menu on its own won't be enough for launching channels from the Wii Menu.

I only installed a Wii Menu WAD.

So I need to do a full system update like you mentioned before?

Will that affect any saves?

Edit: I just did a full system update, but I only get "This Channel Can't Be Used"
Could it be that I have a European System Menu and trying to launch a USA game?
(02-16-2020, 09:24 PM)e2zippo Wrote: [ -> ]So I need to do a full system update like you mentioned before?

Yes.

(02-16-2020, 09:24 PM)e2zippo Wrote: [ -> ]Will that affect any saves?

No.

(02-16-2020, 09:24 PM)e2zippo Wrote: [ -> ]Could it be that I have a European System Menu and trying to launch a USA game?

Yes.
(02-16-2020, 09:51 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Yes.

No.

Yes.

Figures Smile

Can I just install a USA System Menu WAD and it replaces the EU one, or do I need to uninstall the EU somehow?