Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Paper Mario TTYD crashes with empty "Question" window
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

tehcoopatroopa

Emulating TTYD with the HD texture pack and stretched HUD gecko codes, and everything runs practically perfectly besides some occasional emulator goofs (rarely missing sounds, the paper effects causing slowdown), but occasionally during battles (typically on the last hit as well) the emulator freezes and opens up a small window with the title of "Question". At this point, the entire program stops responding and needs to be relaunched.

I have no idea why or how this happens, so presumably its either something wrong with dolphin or the settings I'm running. Any help would be much appreciated.

My settings are default except:

Backend is Direct3d 12
Dual-Core is off
Aspect Ratio is force 16:9
Fullscreen and v-sync are on
Internal resolution is 3x Native (1920x1584)
AA is 8x SSAA
Anisotropic Filtering is 1x
Load custom textures and prefetch custom textures is on

The iso is NTSC-U.
Couple of things you can check:
-Do you have the latest GPU drivers installed?
-Make sure you aren't forcing any enhancements in the Nvidia Control Panel (except for Prefer Maximum Performance)
-Right-click on the game in Dolphin game list, go to Properties > Verify tab and check your disc for errors
-Disable cheats and see if you still get crashes
-Does this happen on other backends like OpenGL or Vulkan?
-Does this happen if you aren't using custom textures?
I'm guessing its all the game modifications causing whatever problems you're running into.

tehcoopatroopa

Oddly enough since making the post last night, I appear to be getting the crash much less often even though I changed nothing. It definitely is triggered by a character taking damage, although it seems to happen regardless of which character is attacked/attacking or what attacks are used.

@KHg8m3r

Latest drivers, no nvidia control panel enhancements.
Verify says it's a bad dump with "Unusual size" and "NKit Format". I have no idea what that means, but they both have low severity.
I still get the error with cheats disabled, but I haven't yet without custom textures.
I'll get back to you with if vulkan/opengl helps after I get a crash without custom textures.

@JMC47

Typically that's what I'd assume with any issues, but I don't see how that could cause the issue. Since gecko are similar to AR codes, presumably any issue they cause would cause in-game screw ups, but not outside of emulation, right? And in the case of it being because of missing textures, I was under the assumption that if a texture is missing from custom it would use the original, and if it were a corrupt file they would crash as soon as the textures are loaded (in like 3 seconds after start). Don't know if this is true, but that's just my logic.
You should try lowering your Anti Aliasing setting to MSAA at least. 3x internal resolution with 8x SSAA can bring even the beefiest GPUs on the market to its knees and might cause the GPU driver to crash...
Piracy is against the forum rules.