Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best Backend/Overall Quality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Specs:
GPU: RTX 2080
CPU: i7-9700K 3.60 GHz
Ram: 16 gb

Simply put, im trying to figure out what backend to use when it comes to Dolphin. i tried D3D12, D3D11, and Vulkan and i don't notice the difference and i just want to know whats the best backend for my setup.

also on a side note, what are the settings to increase the overall picture quality and graphics, the only thing i configured other than the Per Game ini fixes for each game is the resolution to X6. is their more i can do to get a better picture?
Opengl and vulkan are the fastest on nvidia, but d3d11 supposedly has the least stutters with async ubershaders.
After setting IR to the recommended resolution for your monitor, turn up the anti ailising/anisotropic filtering and put the rest of the enhancement options to preference. You could also try downloading game texture packs.
(02-12-2020, 12:38 PM)Legendkiller236 Wrote: [ -> ]Specs:
GPU: RTX 2080
CPU: i7-9700K 3.60 GHz
Ram: 16 gb

Simply put, im trying to figure out what backend to use when it comes to Dolphin. i tried D3D12, D3D11, and Vulkan and i don't notice the difference and i just want to know whats the best backend for my setup.

also on a side note, what are the settings to increase the overall picture quality and graphics, the only thing i configured other than the Per Game ini fixes for each game is the resolution to X6. is their more i can do to get a better picture?

simply put: all backends are exactly the same when it comes to quality. The difference mainly lies in compatibility with GPU's and their respective performance. So if you hit the max FPS (e.g. 30/60 for NTSC and 25/50 for PAL) there is no difference. There is an issue with nVidia drivers that cause async ubershaders to still stutter every now and then with OGL and Vulkan so you're better off with any of the D3D options.

On a sidenote:
Best graphics quality settings, always make sure to use the latest and greatest drivers for your system, make sure your Windows is up to date (as of this writing Windows 10 build 1909) and update Dolphin to the latest Dev version, then do the following in stated order:

1. Download and install the HD/4k texturepacks for your game from here: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Forum-cus...e-projects

In Dolphin:
2. Set up your desired Backend in the graphics configuration "General" tab (in your case D3D12)
3. Turn on VSYNC
4. Set your "Shader Sompilation" to "Asynchronous (Ubershaders)" and make sure "Compile Shaders Before Starting" is turned on.
5. On the "Advanced" tab turn on "Load Custom Textures", "Prefetch Custom Textures" and "Backend Multithreading" (last one won't do anything unless you use the Vulkan backend but it doesn't matter to have it turned on anyway)
6. On the "Enhancements" tab turn on "Scaled EFB Copy", "Force Texture Filtering", "Per-Pixel Lighting", "Force 24-Bit Color" and "Arbitrary Mipmap Detection"
7. THEN on the "Advanced" tab:
set your Anisotropic filtering to 16x and only then turn up your IR to as high as it will go until you don't hit your FPS cap anymore, after that increase the Anti-Aliasing as high as it will go until you lose FPS.

Congrats you now have the highest quality settings your system can handle.

The max for most games on my System was:
6x IR and 4x SSAA (which effectively makes 24x IR)
I'm running:
Core i9 9900k @ 4.9GHz allcore
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz CL15 @ 3400MHz CL16
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080TI Windforce @ 2010MHz GPU and 16GHz VRAM

someperson42

Direct3D 12 seems to work the best for me with a GTX 1080 Ti thanks to some Nvidia quirks. OpenGL and Vulkan have stuttering with async ubershaders enabled that disappears if you use either version of Direct3D, and Direct3D 11 has serious slowdown with games that use bounding box effects (although it is worth mentioning that few games use these).
Seems kind of hit and miss for me. With SMG1 I get no stutter with Direct3D12 but I get lots of stutter on SMG2. This is with the 4k texture pack on both. I've tried all kinds of backends, results are kind of hit and miss.
I'm on a Ryzen 7 3700x and RTX 2070