Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: wii (metroid prime trilogy) freeze problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
so im getting these random freezes when playing metroid there like a few seconds long but it just random and game run very good no lag no frame drops nothing but the freezes.
Do you have Ubershaders enabled?
Hmm, if it lags/freezes when entering a new area or opening a door, i would guess it's either shader compilation or texture loading related. In that case use Ubershaders as suggested and maybe also try GPU texture decoding(Hacks). For GPU texture decoding to work you may need to disable Arbitrary Mipmap Detection(Enhancements), which also slows down texture loading. On the other hand, i don't know if the Metroid Prime games use some of those very low resolution mipmaps. If they do, then using GPU texture decoding and/or disabling Arbitrary Mipmap Detection would not look nice.

Anyways, if Dolphin actually freezes for serval seconds and it's not (always) related to opening doors, my guess would be that this is a HDD going to sleep and taking serveral seconds until it wakes up again. In the window's Power Options, in the advanced settings, set your HDD to never turn off/go to sleep, should be value 0.

And if it's neither of the above, hardware issue? If so, try unplugging not used usb devices.
I do have ubershader enable but I'll try the hacks hopefully it help Thanks!
(01-23-2020, 02:49 AM)Dsky08 Wrote: [ -> ]so im getting these random freezes when playing metroid there like a few seconds long but it just random and game run very good no lag no frame drops nothing but the freezes.

Hi, there. I started playing Metroid Prime 3 (from MP Trilogy) in the new year and have struggled with similar issues.
I haven't tried using GPU texture decoding as suggested here, to see if it helps in any way, but I will tonight.

Based on my experience with this, here are some tips:

1. Shader compilation stuttering:
This game is the poster child for this. I believe you will have some level of stuttering due to shader compilation even with ubershaders, until you build your UID cache. There isn't much to do here, excepts perhaps to use the async skip drawing option to sacrifice some graphics "pop-in" in lieu of the stutter

2. Long pauses in the emulation:
Mine might be a unique case, but the hard drive from which I was loading the game's disc image is quite old now and was causing severe 1-2 sec pauses in the emulation, on this and other games. It took me a while to zero in on this because this game had so many other issues and the hard drive only started acting up recently. You may not have this problem but you should still try moving the disc image to a different drive, just to rule that out.

3. Unexplained stutter:
There is another category of stutter that seems to always occur in the same places on standard animations, like when the game is being saved on Samus' ship and other places. Because these are so repeatable, I don't think they are related to shader compilation, and most other games don't seem to suffer from this, or at least not nearly as much. It may be related to the "jit stutters" mentioned by another user in the thread I linked above, but I don't know the technical details behind that.

The best you can do is to rule out any hard drive issues, cope with the shader compliation stutter until you build your GUID cache, and make sure you are using the fastest graphics back-end for you. The latter may or may not help with the stutters described above but at least you are hedging your bets.

Good luck. This game is worth the trouble.
i have no idea what making these random freeze i try the hack and the window power option and still there and btw is not when i go true a new area its just random it happens while doing a boss exploring anything i dont know tbh like im always at 60fps so idk if its a hardware problem it can be but who know im still playing the game its not like a it freezes all the time it just freezes and then a while passes and it happens again but thanks for trying to help
What version of dolphin are you using? Your profile doesn't make sense.
i got 0.3.3a
My bad its 5.0
Try the latest development builds of dolphin.
Pages: 1 2