Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can i use Dolphin for speedrunning?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

noogai_89

I'm TAS or normal speedrunner, and i wanted to speedrun in SMB.And i wanted to save money by installing emulator,does speedrunning allowed in Dolphin under circumstances?
The communities for some games won't accept emulator speedruns on leaderboards and such, but for some games it's fine.

For SMB specifically (you mean Super Mario Bros. for the NES, right?), the https://www.speedrun.com/smb1 leaderboards accept some emulators, but Dolphin is not one of them. I'm guessing they would rather have you use an NES emulator instead of running the Virtual Console version (which in itself is an emulator) in a Wii emulator.

noogai_89

I got an question,why developers not trying to make stable, speedrunning ver? So communities accept Dolphin?
Josjuice, you're dev so i trust devs are gonna make stable ver after some years later.
Speedrun communities aren't going to be much more likely to accept Dolphin just because we release some special version.
Unless Dolphin becomes cycle accurate in every relevant processing unit in the system, many speedrunning communities aren't going to care. Given doing that would make Dolphin impossibly slow for anybody to use, we will never aim for that.

But! Many GC/Wii speedrunners use Dolphin to practice! Lots of speedrun utilized glitches still work in Dolphin, which makes Dolphin useful for practice, especially since savestates are available. But for actual run submission, you'll need real hardware in most cases.
And even if we were cycle accurate, it's WAY easier to cheat on an emulator than it is on console hardware, so that alone is a reason some communities might ban emulators!