Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Main account possibly mistakenly banned
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I believe my main account was mistakenly banned. I believe a post I made was misinterpreted and I was banned for p*racy (censoring in case it is a bot detecting words). I said I only had one game d*wnloaded and was d*wnloading more. What I meant was that I was just tr*nsferring the f*les from my external hard drive, but I believe this was misinterpreted as p*rating them. The main account I was talking about is CornOnTheJayCob. I didn't see any way to message anyone about this, so I'm trying this instead.
It wasn't a mistake.

Global Forum Rules Wrote:Warez/downloading games talk is prohibited and frowned upon. To prevent legal issues, you may not post links or refer to any kind of NAND, BIOS, ISO, game, or other copyrighted material that has been illegally obtained or shared. If any post like that is found, the thread containing it will be closed and further support will be revoked. Stating that you've downloaded a game will get you banned immediately, no matter if you purchased the game or not. Asking where to find or download games will get you banned immediately. Providing where to download games will get you banned immediately. You must legally dump/rip your own games, NAND, BIOS, etc.

And here's what you said.

(01-04-2020, 11:59 AM)CornOnTheJayCob Wrote: [ -> ]I am testing this in Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga. It is the only game I currently have downloaded, although I am downloading others.

You stated you downloaded games, you got banned. There was no mistake here.

So the rules are as explicit as they are because we can't know for sure whether you did do something illegal or not, but we are obligated to not support piracy. The only way to do this is to best guess it, using common sense and statistics. In the English language, "downloading" is not typically used for transferring between components on a computer, it is almost exclusively used for getting something from a distant network. Since you can't legally download a GameCube or a Wii game*, if you say you "downloaded" it, you probably pirated it, and if we ignored that, a court could say we ignored active evidence of piracy. So, we have to do this.

Anyway, you are technically ban evading, so, we'll be banning this new account soon too. I'll give you a chance to read this though.

Spoiler:
Also, copying a game from an external hard drive is pretty fast, so it strikes me as unlikely that you at the time of writing that post would be in the process of copying games from an external hard drive without any of the games having finished copying yet...
This has all been explained pretty clearly. So this is more a heads up for people reading:

This rule is in place to keep our hands clean and deny Nintendo or any publisher any leverage to get dolphin shut down. We could not give a shit about where you get your games beyond needing them to be an md5 perfect dump to ensure correct behavior.

We have no interest in playing piracy cop. Just don't make us need to enforce the rule.