Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can't map multiple wii players with same keyboard.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On Dolphin 5.0-11422

Windows x64

I need access to more than 1 player on controllers for various reasons,my current reason was to test performance with my HD Models code hack with 2-4 split-screen gameplay but I have to map the A button for wii controllers 2-4 to do this.
On another build of Dolphin I got pretty slow performance compared to a single screen on gameplay,that one being Ishiiruka because various older master versions and custom versions with some being WxWidgets all ran slower.

Problem is,how crappy QT Dolphin can tend to be with all of its shortcomings and infuriating drawbacks,it doesn't let me map keys to other players beyond player 1 and even has the advanced keyboard key detection list empty!!!

I found that performance is actually better with 5.0-11422 for at least one game compared to Ishiiruka from not yet testing other games.
Ishiiruka (still being on WxWidgets) allowed me to map more than one wii controller slot using keyboard keys while the mentioned master build of Dolphin does not.

Why would you cripple input mapping like this?!?
With Ishiiruka moving to QT at some point,this would cause a major downgrade along with the other drawbacks when merging master changes into Ishiiruka.

On a side-note,debugging is still a pain with the non-visible memory unless paused and the fact I got a close-out crash after doing a read breakpoint then resuming after clearing breakpoints and then pressing a key (this case "/" mapped as unlimited speed) then it crashed outright with no errors appearing,this being in single core too.
One reason I even wanted to try an updated version is because I got tired of having no access to Wii memory internally because its severely limiting to not have a way to search values in the Wii section of memory and the external program is not compatible with Ishiiruka builds for simple reasons,but QT debugging is still quite the hassle to use in master.

The external Dolphin Memory Engine program for memory access lacks the option for making breakpoints,at least since last time I tried it.

I find it surprising that after all this long,the QT version still hasn't nearly reached feature parity yet with the old WxWidgets builds due to the input mapping lockout.
Memory search is still terrible by the fact I can't even display so much as 464 results,let alone 999 results that old versions can show.

I honestly thought some custom changes were merged by now that allowed much better results listings and greatly improved the memory viewer as well,OneMoreTry/TryTwo made these custom changes/fixes but they have yet to appear in master apparently.
There was a PR but it didn't get done because of complaints of how much there was to review all at once then there was never another pull request put together.
And that was almost precisely an entire year ago.

https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/7669
Just to make sure that I've understood this correctly, is the problem that when you try to map keyboard keys to controllers 2-4, nothing happens?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "the advanced keyboard key detection list".
Sorry,I mean the advanced menu you get when right clicking a button to map which has the detect button and a list of inputs of the selected device.
In my case the keyboard.

If I go to player 2,3,or 4 on wiimote mapping,having player 1 already mapped,player 2 (and very likely 3 and 4) won't allow you to map keyboard keys and the advanced list of inputs is empty when right clicking a button to map and clicking "detect" doesn't work due to that list being empty.
Though I just now at the time of typing this thought of a workaround,I could map random things like currently unmapped motion inputs on player 1 and try to add them in the text field for the other players to force it to let me use my intended inputs.
What device is selected in the device dropdown for players 2-4?
It seems to only happen the first time you've ever used it. Clicking default is enough to (permanently?) populate the list. Deleting the config folder can cause it to happen again.

Also, the pr was split, and a couple were merged. https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/p...r%3Atrytwo+
(All of the author's prs. Includes some extra ones)
It did show the keyboard when in the right click as the device already selected yet with no listed keys,preventing mapping from working.

Edit: Okay,I selected "all devices" then went back to keyboard and it now lets me map the other players and show the keys list on advanced view.