Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Paper mario ttyd using 100% 8GB gpu..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Wax

Hello, i was hoping to find some insight as to why when i play paper Mario ttyd using dolphin 5.0 my GPU suddenly jumps to 100% (8GB) Huh ... yesterday this nearly roasted my GPU entirely.... i would really like to play the game... but at what cost? lol
Update to the latest development build then try again. 5.0 stable is ancient at this point...
additionally, post your graphics settings please.

I suspect you're trying to run at absurd SSAA settings.

Wax

I was at 4xssaa as well as 4K when it nearly toasted my GPU I figured a game from 2004 could handle.
But, I turned it down to 1080p 4xmsaa and the same proceeded but in jumps.. 100%GPU from a 500MB scrub...
My setup has ran Anthem at max 4K it got warm but it didn’t roast my GPU to the point I could smell
the damage...
I downloaded an older stable version of dolphin now it works like a dream at 1440p...

Thanks anyways..

GG dolphin GG .-.
4K 4x SSAA is unmanageable for any available GPU, PC game or emulation. Google has a lot of info on what SSAA does specifically. The short and sweet (and greatly simplified) is that you're rendering (IR x SSAA number). So 4K x 4. This is why it killed your GPU. Don't do that.

PC games are nowhere close to the workload of an emulator.

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#why-do...late-old-c

An older version likely runs better in this specific case because it has a pretty buggy hack to deal with bounding box used in the paper mario games. It'll probably have other graphical glitches or randomly crash. I recommend saving regularly. We also can't help you with any other problems you have on an older version because we only support 5.0 or newer for our sanity.

Wax

(12-26-2019, 07:06 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]4K 4x SSAA is unmanageable for any available GPU, PC game or emulation. Google has a lot of info on what SSAA does specifically. The short and sweet (and greatly simplified) is that you're rendering (IR x SSAA number). So 4K x 4. This is why it killed your GPU. Don't do that.

PC games are nowhere close to the workload of an emulator.

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#why-do...late-old-c

An older version likely runs better in this specific case because it has a pretty buggy hack to deal with bounding box used in the paper mario games. It'll probably have other graphical glitches or randomly crash. I recommend saving regularly. We also can't help you with any other problems you have on an older version because we only support 5.0 or newer for our sanity.

Ahhhhh, that makes sense, thanks!