Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Fullscreen Resolution Configuration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, im playing Pokemon Colloseum and im currently using Stretch to Window with Full Screen option and internal resoluton set to 1920. The issue is that i want a proper full sreen resolution, adjusted to my pc's (which is 1920x1080) and my dolphin ver, which is the latest, lacks such option.

I tried changing the config file by adding a FS resolution command myself but nothin' happened. I have seen videos where older versions of Dolphin have a customable full screen resolution optio but newer ones seem to have lost this feature.

Is there a way to change this?
What do you mean by "a proper full screen resolution"?
(12-22-2019, 08:58 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean by "a proper full screen resolution"?

im using the stretch to window option. i want tthe game to be FS because of resolution and full screen option not because of window stretch
If you want the game to fill every pixel of the screen: That is not possible without stretching the image. GameCube/Wii games don't run at exactly 4:3 or exactly 16:9.
(12-22-2019, 09:50 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]If you want the game to fill every pixel of the screen: That is not possible without stretching the image. GameCube/Wii games don't run at exactly 4:3 or exactly 16:9.

but older dolphin versis had an option which made the general window res to your pc's native one
Assuming you have set the Windows resolution to the native resolution of your display (1920x1080, from what you said), setting that old fullscreen resolution setting to 1920x1080 did nothing. Yep, nothing. Fullscreen resolution was for setting the display to a different rendering mode that the one in the operating system, it had no effect on Dolphin's rendering resolution*. The resolution Dolphin renders at has always been controlled exclusively by the Internal Resolution setting. The confusion over having two resolution settings and what actually controls Dolphin's resolution is why we removed the fullscreen resolution setting in the first place. That and the main reason a separate fullscreen resolution setting was useful, CRTs, aren't exactly as popular as they once were!

Now to answer your next question, we no longer allow forcing Dolphin to render at *exactly* a requested resolution because we used to allow that (via Auto Window Size) and it lead to crashes, lost save files and other very bad things. Here's the writeup in the Progress Report where we talked about it - https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2017/09/02/...y-josjuice

*:
(12-22-2019, 11:18 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]Assuming you have set the windows resolution to the native resolution of your display (1920x1080), setting that old fullscreen resolution setting to 1920x1080 did nothing. Fullscreen resolution is was for setting the display to a different setting that the one in the operating system, it had no effect on the rendering output*.  

The resolution Dolphin renders at has always been controlled exclusively by the Internal Resolution setting. The confusion over having two resolution settings and what actually controls Dolphin's resolution is why we removed the fullscreen resolution setting in the first place.

Now to answer your next question, we no longer allow forcing Dolphin to render at *exactly* a requested resolution because we used to allow that (via Auto Window Size) and it lead to crashes, lost save files and other very bad things. Here's the writeup in the Progress Report where we talked about it - https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2017/09/02/...y-josjuice

*:

so, basically stetch to window+Full screen is the only option, huh?
If you want Dolphin to completely fill your screen, the better way to do it is to enable Crop in the advanced tab. Since GameCube and Wii games don't output to exactly 4:3 or 16:9, Stretch to Window will cause distortion.
(12-22-2019, 11:32 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]If you want Dolphin to completely fill your screen, the better way to do it is to enable Crop in the advanced tab. Since GameCube and Wii games don't output to exactly 4:3 or 16:9, Stretch to Window will cause distortion.

and what other display setting shoud i have?