Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Acer Aspire A315-21 63F1 with 8GB upgradable ram
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an Acer Aspire A315-21 63F1 that has 8GB of ram that can be upgraded to 12 along with AMD graphics. Will this work with Dolphin? I tried Double Dash, and that worked fine. I tried Mario Kart Wii, and that was fine until I got to the mode selection screen, at which point lag started to trickle in. I should note too that Dolphin likes to freeze up and close itself randomly. This is using 5.0, the latest stable build, and that this exact build works on my desktop tower just fine with no problems whatsoever. Will upgrading my ram to 12GB help make dolphin run much faster? If not, then I will more than likely invest in a cheap, good portable monitor for the desktop tower that can run this perfectly as if I was playing on an actual gamecube/wii. That thing isn't really a pain to use, but I would rather play it from the comfort of my own bed, and figured a portable monitor (the ones that are about the size of a laptop screen or so) would do the job. If you guys have any cheap portable monitor suggestions, please do throw them my way. Technically, I can already play it from my bed by connecting it to my TV, however, Every Simpsons Episode Ever Marathon is currently on FXX right now, and that has occupied that TV since 7 PM Tuesday (I stopped playing MK Wii at 6 in anticipation for it), plus the space I need to put the tower in is a tight one, so by having this monitor, I can put the tower out of the way. Thanks in advanced for your feedback/help!
The menus in Mario Kart Wii are notoriously laggy, due to all the miniature videos that have to be decoded. For this game specifically, the gameplay tends to run faster than the menus.

Upgrading from 8 GB to 12 GB RAM won't help with anything related to Dolphin, other than prefetching large texture packs.
Try updating to the latest development build, it might help. Dolphin 5.0 stable is ancient at this point...
Try using a 30FPS patch and testing to see if it can run at full speed.
(12-21-2019, 05:07 AM)Rayxzz Wrote: [ -> ]Try using a 30FPS patch and testing to see if it can run at full speed.

I will try your guy's suggestions. Will report back.
Asking for help, getting really helpful comments, and vandalize on wikipedia. You're such a nice guy...
(12-22-2019, 06:32 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]Asking for help, getting really helpful comments, and vandalize on wikipedia. You're such a nice guy...

I was only posting what is accurate about PC hardware and Dolphin. Desktops have much bigger components than Laptop's, so Dolphin can fully utilize the components such as graphics, cpu, gpu, ram, etc without much a risk of overheating the desktop compare to laptop's, where trying to do so would cause the laptop to get really hot, which could pose a fire risk depending on where you have it set, and could also cause the components to die prematurely. As Laptop's RAM gets bigger, and HDD's replaced with SSD's, this should become a thing of the past. This already has happened for computers that have SSD's, RAM 8GB or higher, and a very good graphics card. Playing Dolphin on an 8GB laptop will work, mainly with Gamecube games, but you will encounter lag here and there, while playing on an 8GB desktop (such as the Dell Inspiron 3847 I mentioned in the Dolphin Wikipedia article) runs both Wii and Gamecube games as if you were playing them from an actual Wii, and thus would be more recommended, but would not be suitable if you want to take Dolphin on the road (where a Laptop would be needed) due to their much bigger size compared to the actual consoles. I am sorry for vandalizing the Dolphin page, but wanted to speak the truth about the noticeable difference between desktop and laptop hardware so people would get a rough idea if they are looking to buy a new computer for Dolphin.

Anywho, Dolphin works fine on the Acer Aspire A315-21-63F1. Gamecube games work with lag here and there. I tested this with Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Kart 6. In Double Dash, the two courses with cars, Mushroom Bridge and Mushroom City probably give off the most lag and in Mario Party 6, Cannonball Run (whatever is the minigame where you shoot bullet bills and the other person jumps on them to reach the goal) is so far the only mini-game that had any noticeable lag. I am still probably gonna upgrade the laptop to 12GB of ram, and see what that does. I'll report back once I do the upgrade, which won't be for a little while (after the 25th)