Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I would like to know if my Laptop is good enough to run GC Fire Emblem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

mikeferrer

I've been on a recent fire emblem binge replaying nearly every game and remembering why I loved it as a child. I'm at the point where i'm looking to play Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn (Gamecube and Wii respectively). I was really hoping my newish yet budget laptop may be able to run it. Thank you for any help in advance!

Here are my official specs https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05349041

But the main things I I think that matter here are

Product number Z4L83UA

Product name HP Notebook - 15-ay192nr

Microprocessor Intel® Core™ i3-7100U (2.4 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)

Memory, standard 8 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB)

Video graphics Intel® HD Graphics 620 (up to 4.07 GB) Integrated
Yeah? You've got a decent CPU, just make sure you're plugged into power and you have Power Options set to High Performance
It' an i3 and U series at that in a laptop form factor. It's a toss up but the odds are not in your favor. Really the only way to know for sure is to test it.
It's a decent CPU for Dolphin. I can confirm since I have an Acer laptop with the same specs. I haven't played the FE games in Dolphin, but it should perform reasonably well. You should consistently get 2.4GHz when playing Dolphin. Only thing is that you might have to stick to 1x resolution, based on my experiences.
It should be fine, but since it is a laptop it will depend on the cooling and power delivery of that specific model. If it can hit and maintain the same boost clocks that Shonumi's Acer does then you should get similar performance. If it throttles due to the design of the laptop you might get worse performance.

The reason U series CPUs are not recommended is because the base clock is usually really low and they are not designed for sustained performance in a lot of the laptops they are put in. There is no harm in trying it out and seeing how well it does though.
Modern ULV CPUs have gotten reliable enough for Dolphin.

I've been playing Dolphin on a broadwell ULV (basically cooler haswell) fine. It was much more reliant on good cooling back then which I had but now most ULVs are fine. Still on the 14 nm process but Intel at least has gotten REALLY good at that process size Tongue