Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Determining cause of occassional fps capping?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Leafkeef

I'm a relative newcomer to emulation, and have been trying to figure out an issue with my Dolphin emulation for about a week.

I only use Dolphin to emulate the Fire Emblem games, but recently I've had this issue where my laptop will only run PoR and RD and 60 fps when it's charging. The logical first thought was that it was tied to the battery performance settings, but I've made sure I'm running at max performance. These games only work for me at 60 fps, at 30 they won't even get past the GC/Wii "press a button to continue" screen. But it seems like it's capped at 30 before they soon crash. Pokemon Colosseum does work at 30 fps though.

I've searched old forum posts, google, FE forums, and seen no other cases of this. I know my computer is strong enough to handle these games as they work when I am charging, so I don't think power is the issue. I also make sure no other apps are running so processing power shouldn't really be getting taken up.

I have Dolphin 5.0 running on default settings, which seems to be the safest setup.

If it's not obvious, I am not someone particularly fluent with this realm of computers (but I'm learning!). Any help would be greatly appreciated, but do try to keep the vernacular in layman's terms.

Thank you!
I don't think there's much you can do about your computer not letting you run at 60 fps when not charging. It should be possible to make the games work when limited to 30 fps, though. Try disabling v-sync, and if necessary, disabling dual core.