Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Christmas idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Santa

Hello ladies and gentlemen, Santa Clause here.

My plan is to surprise my stepsister and her husband with a way to play SSB Melee for Christmas, I’m thinking here my budget will be $500. I’ll be building this on my own btw.

My goal is to build a console-sized pc for most likely GameCube (SSB & Mario Sunshine) and lower gens (SNES, NES) only, it will only be running on a TV (1920x1080) at 60Hz so no need to meet any 4K or frame requirements, but of course the more frames available the better.

From what I’ve read so far, and correct me if I get any of this wrong but from what I’ve gathered is that Dolphin is more CPU intensive and generally a 4 core with high speeds will be good.

As far as GPU, GT750 or better works?
Storage I’m aiming for 250GB SSD, is that enough for just a few games?
The PSU will be Seasonic Silver/Gold/Platinum and whatever the power usage needs to be (500W maybe??)
And RAM seems to be negligible with 4-8GB being enough
So it’s really came down to motherboard choice and a small enough case that I’m completely clueless on, so if you guys can give my list a look, let me know if I’m wrong anywhere in here I’d really appreciate it Smile
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/26Fk9G

Here you go. Pick a case.

The iGPU in the new Ryzen CPUs can trivially push Dolphin at 1080p, and fast RAM will allow it to run at it's full potential.

If you're worried about getting a motherboard that doesn't come shipped with a firmware new enough to support the CPU, you can swap it out.
ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard. Should support the 3400G, does not cost that much more, and will fit in a smaller more "console sized" case

The silverstone SG13B is an mITX case roughly gamecube(ish) shaped, fits a standard size power supply, and can be cooled fairly well.