Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: CPU Requirement for e.g. Metroid Prime at 1080p
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

shoutplenty

Hi,

I've been looking around a bit but feel I should get clarity, despite it being a common topic.

What kind of current desktop CPU is needed to run e.g. Metroid Prime (GC) at almost-always full speed at 1080p? With maybe some level of anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. It's at 60FPS, so hopefully a binary criterion.

Here are 2 candidates:
Intel i5 9400F (£135)
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (£120)
These are interesting bc of their current price and being seemingly close to the boundary of good enough. They're also good for 1080p 60FPS gaming in general for most games (paired with e.g. GeForce GTX 1660). The 9400F performs better at Dolphin and most games but the 2600X is cheaper, has a better stock cooler, and is more future-proof thread-wise. Are they sufficient? (Maybe they need a better cooler to run at boosted clock speed).

I'd also be interested in generalising the game I'm talking about, just as a rough indication for the CPU quality. I picked Metroid Prime for being among the more demanding of the popular games, but we could look at the rest of the series (+ trilogy), and examples of more demanding popular games.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the insight! Comparisons with older CPUs are cool since most people won't have the latest couple of gens.
Either of those are fine. Metroid taxes the shader compiler more than anything else. So just having ubershaders on hybrid mode is what you need.

The GTX 1660 will do that fine. Dunno if Nvidia still has issues with asynchronous shader compilation on GL/Vulkan though. hybrid ubdershaders definitely works fine on D3D.