Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best Pc requirements for this emulator
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

i need to buy a new pc, i don't know if laptop or desktop, also in order to use it with all my emulators. Which are the CPU/GPU and ram specs recommended in order to run this emulator with its best performance and with all the effects at maximum level?

For example, if I buy:
 - a laptop:  i7 9750, GTX 1660Ti, 16GB RAM DDR4 2666 Mhz
 - a desktop: i7 9700 (or i5 9600KF), GTX 1660Ti, 16GB RAM DDR4 2666 Mhz

Is it enough the above specs? What do you suggest?  I'm not interested to pc gaming, only to run every emulator at its best.

thank you
Both of those would be fine for Dolphin and everything below it. Dolphin really only needs 2 fast CPU cores (which both of those options have) and a GPU that is better than a GT 750 for upscaling (which both of those options have).

It just comes down to price and what you want.
ah ok! thank you!
Hi, this is my idea:

CASE: Silverstone SST-RVZ03
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
MOTHERBOARD: Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac
GPU: AMD RX 5700 XT
RAM: predator 3200MHz cl16
PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Atx 650W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP-100H Muscle
CASE FAN: Enermax D.F. Storm 12cm
THERMAL COMPOUND: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
HDD: Seagate ST2000LX001 HDD Interno FireCuda, 2 TB
SDD: Samsung Memorie MZ-76E500 860 EVO SSD

Do you think that if i use Doplhin on a 4k tv i can have a good graphic even if i use the emulator not in 4k resolution? Currently I use it on a monitor full hd and it is really good! If I need to run the emulator in 4k, is it enough the cpu/gpu that i linked above?

thanks!
That will be way more than enough for Dolphin in 4K.
perfect, thanks!
As another user mentioned, this hardware should be fine.

However, 1 thing to keep in mind with CPU specs: For older games as well as for emulators of older generations, the single core CPU power is the most important, and often only important, CPU spec.

See, old games cannot make use of more then 1 core at a time, or 2 cores at best. Even Dolphin technically runs on 1 CPU core. The "dual core modus" itself is not fully developed either. What Dolphin does there is load minor side tasks on to a second CPU core. That is why you don´t get a 100% CPU speed boost when running Dolphin in dual core mode, as it only shoves off the more menial tasks to the second CPU, not however the main tasks that still need to be ran on the first CPU core and run only on this first core as well.

Hence when selecting a CPU for emulating purposes, single core power is more important then multicore power. And you might be able to even save some money and gain some performance when you select, for example, a 4 core CPU with 100% single core power vs a 6 core CPU which however only has 95% or less power per core.

If it is for emulation, you first and foremost want single core CPU power, as you cannot make use of more cores like some modern computer games or programms can. So depending on your overall demands from your PC, you might be more satisfied with less CPU cores but more power per core, plus it could save you money as well.
My dude why did you splain single core perf when nobody needed that
(11-19-2019, 11:10 AM)Materia Wrote: [ -> ]As another user mentioned, this hardware should be fine.

However, 1 thing to keep in mind with CPU specs: For older games as well as for emulators of older generations, the single core CPU power is the most important, and often only important, CPU spec.

See, old games cannot make use of more then 1 core at a time, or 2 cores at best. Even Dolphin technically runs on 1 CPU core. The "dual core modus" itself is not fully developed either. What Dolphin does there is load minor side tasks on to a second CPU core. That is why you don´t get a 100% CPU speed boost when running Dolphin in dual core mode, as it only shoves off the more menial tasks to the second CPU, not however the main tasks that still need to be ran on the first CPU core and run only on this first core as well.

Hence when selecting a CPU for emulating purposes, single core power is more important then multicore power. And you might be able to even save some money and gain some performance when you select, for example, a 4 core CPU with 100% single core power vs a 6 core CPU which however only has 95% or less power per core.

If it is for emulation, you first and foremost want single core CPU power, as you cannot make use of more cores like some modern computer games or programms can. So depending on your overall demands from your PC, you might be more satisfied with less CPU cores but more power per core, plus it could save you money as well.

thanks, so a 6 cores cpu like Ryzen 3600X is absolutely enough to run Dolphin with high performance, i don't need 3700X cpu, correct? Or do you suggest to buy a 3700X in order to be sure that i don't need more power?
(11-20-2019, 02:59 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]My dude why did you splain single core perf when nobody needed that

Considering the huge amount of topics with exactly this question in the Hardware section, and the fact that this is often overlooked I thought quite a lot of people might actualy benefit from that information, and be it repeated.

(11-20-2019, 04:14 AM)legolas119 Wrote: [ -> ]thanks, so a 6 cores cpu like Ryzen 3600X is absolutely enough to run Dolphin with high performance, i don't need 3700X cpu, correct? Or do you suggest to buy a 3700X in order to be sure that i don't need more power?

Correct, and with a CPU like that you should be able to run several times the internal resolution and also through some MSAA and other effects at it with no problems. In single core power rating, your 3600x has a whopping 136 points single core power, the 3700x only adds a meager one point, 137, and 2 extra cores, but costs 100$ more on average. You are paying exclusively for 2 extra cores here.

If it is only Dolphin or also other plattforms like PS2 emulators or older generations then you are perfect with this. If you want to run the most recent AAA titles in form of PC games, you might want to consider 8 cores as some of the newest games could potencialy benefit from it. Or if you run a lot of video making, editing or compressing with programs, again you would benefit from the 3700x. But if that is not your target then really, going for the 3600x makes much more sense. Good price performance ratio too definitely.

This is a good and handy website to check for CPU performance, you can sort by single core performance, price or any other option:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/

Other then that, specificaly in games and in action, Toms Hardware and a few others give a ton of benchmarks. However really, looking at price performance i´d say go for the 3600x.
Pages: 1 2