Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin not saving games or config.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

JuanmaRailgun

Let me preface this by saying I already googled and tried most of the solutions for this, and it didn't work.

Over 2 years ago I got dolphin and played Paper Mario. Left it incomplete, very close to the end of the story.

Fast forward to today where I got the urge to play again. My old save file is there, but I create a new save file to re-habituate myself to the game before jumping into endgame. I save and leave after a few moments, but when I open the game again to go to the main file I see the new file isn't there, but the old one is still there.

Checking more I realize my emulator's configuration isn't saving either, more specifically the volume slider.

I saw other answers to similar issues on the forums so I want to clarify: I ALREADY UN-CHECKED THE READ ONLY BOX on the launcher and the folder containing the shortcut, and folder containing Dolphin itself, and the one containing a newer version of Dolphin that makes Paper Mario unplayable.

ONE MORE THING: doing a last checkup after writing this I found the "read-only" option under the Emulation tab. I'm now able to save games, however I have to start the emulation, swap windows to un-check the read only option, and only then I'm allowed to save, but of course, since the configuration doesn't save, I have to do this every time so I'd appreaciate any help to solve this.

Currently using 4.0.2
And the other version is 5.0
A read-only option under the Emulation tab...? I'm not aware of any such option or tab in Dolphin. Is that part of some launcher you are using? If so, you probably should ask the community for that launcher instead (unless you've tried using Dolphin without a launcher and still have the same problem).

JuanmaRailgun

(11-09-2019, 09:34 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]A read-only option under the Emulation tab...? I'm not aware of any such option or tab in Dolphin. Is that part of some launcher you are using? If so, you probably should ask the community for that launcher instead (unless you've tried using Dolphin without a launcher and still have the same problem).

Yes. As it shows in this screenshot:
[Image: 20c09fd4499669c0bcb24d6d368b2878.png]
Oh, okay, so what currently is the Movie menu was part of the Emulation menu in Dolphin 4.0.2... We can't really help you with 4.0.2, though. It's too old and has a bunch of bugs we can't do anything about other than asking you to update. You shouldn't need to touch that read-only setting at all unless you're using the movie recording functionality, but maybe there's something wrong with it in 4.0.2?
Switch over to at least 5.0 stable, or better yet the 5.0 dev builds. There's no reason to stay on 4.0.2. How is the latest 5.0 dev build making Paper Mario unplayable?

Also, to verify what you said in the first post, if you go to "C:\Users\<USER>\Documents" and right-click on the "Dolphin Emulator" folder, and go to Properties > Security, do all users and your user have all the permissions set to allow?
If no, change to allow.
If yes, move the "Dolphin Emulator" folder to your desktop. Then launch the latest 5.0 dev build and it will re-populate the folder with the correct permissions. Then you can move the GC and Wii folders back over to get your saves (make sure Dolphin is closed when you do this). This will wipe your Dolphin settings, which is preferred because you may have some things leftover in your config files that may be messing with you.

JuanmaRailgun

(11-10-2019, 08:37 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, okay, so what currently is the Movie menu was part of the Emulation menu in Dolphin 4.0.2... We can't really help you with 4.0.2, though. It's too old and has a bunch of bugs we can't do anything about other than asking you to update. You shouldn't need to touch that read-only setting at all unless you're using the movie recording functionality, but maybe there's something wrong with it in 4.0.2?

This problem also happens on 5.0 so help would still be apreciated.