Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Could making and loading a smaller texture improve performance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

MikeMine2002

As the title says. If I were to take all the textures from a game, like how you would with any custom loaded textures/texture dumping within the emulator. If I took those. And lowered them smaller than they already were. Would that improve game performance, or would it still run the same/slightly worse cuz its still loading those textures on top of the already existing ones?
I haven't actually tried it, but it would probably run at about the same speed (assuming you're using custom texture prefetching, otherwise there will be stuttering problems). If you're having a bottleneck on the GPU side, I would suggest turning down Dolphin's enhancements settings instead.

MikeMine2002

(10-30-2019, 07:43 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't actually tried it, but it would probably run at about the same speed (assuming you're using custom texture prefetching, otherwise there will be stuttering problems). If you're having a bottleneck on the GPU side, I would suggest turning down Dolphin's enhancements settings instead.

My PC runs dolphin pretty decently actually. It's i just started thinking that (smaller texture thing) when i tried crash wrath of cortex and that one game just slowed down pretty bad. But yeah i assumed it would run about the same. Just wanted to know if it was a possibility. 

(on the note of Wrath of cortex, searched a bit and seems its just slow on dolphin in general)