Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: CPU questions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Kayspyro76

Going to be a long shot but I have an A4 6300 3.7ghz (2core), someone offered to give me an AMD athalon II 2.8ghz (4 core) the A4 has a higher single core speed but was just curious if it would be an upgrade also can anyone recommend me a motherboard/ Intel CPU in the price range of 150-200. Thank you
None of those will suffice. AMD stopped sucking after Ryzen, so you´ll fare better with them (and aren´t that expensive either).
(10-22-2019, 06:31 AM)Kayspyro76 Wrote: [ -> ]Going to be a long shot but I have an A4 6300 3.7ghz (2core), someone offered to give me an AMD athalon II 2.8ghz (4 core) the A4 has a higher single core speed but was just curious if it would be an upgrade also can anyone recommend me a motherboard/ Intel CPU in the price range of 150-200. Thank you

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xpJFzY

something like this would do nicely and depending on your current GPU (if it is anything close to being as old as those CPU's) it might actually be faster overall... plus you will have a nice 2x4GB of DDR4 3200.

Also keep in mind... Dolphin will only use 2 cores, so a higher IPC/STP (we're talking about single thread performance or instructions per cycle because megahertz say nothing between different architectures) will trump more cores...

The Athlon II x4 630 (2.8GHz) has an average Single Thread Rating of 853 according to Passmark (a relatively well known way to measure STP)
The A4 6300 3.7GHz APU has an average Single Thread Rating of 1356 according to Passmark…

So the A4 is much faster than the Athlon.

The new Ryzen 3 3200g is a quadcore with a nice Single Thread rating of 2048 on average... which is waaay faster than the A4 (the scale isn't linear so the faster the CPU gets, the score will rise slower)

Kayspyro76

(10-22-2019, 10:15 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xpJFzY

something like this would do nicely and depending on your current GPU (if it is anything close to being as old as those CPU's) it might actually be faster overall... plus you will have a nice 2x4GB of DDR4 3200.

Also keep in mind... Dolphin will only use 2 cores, so a higher IPC/STP (we're talking about single thread performance or instructions per cycle because megahertz say nothing between different architectures) will trump more cores...

The Athlon II x4 630 (2.8GHz) has an average Single Thread Rating of 853 according to Passmark (a relatively well known way to measure STP)
The A4 6300 3.7GHz APU has an average Single Thread Rating of 1356 according to Passmark…

So the A4 is much faster than the Athlon.

The new Ryzen 3 3200g is a quadcore with a nice Single Thread rating of 2048 on average... which is waaay faster than the A4 (the scale isn't linear so the faster the CPU gets, the score will rise slower)

Thank you for the clarification will see if the ryzen is comparable with any of the motherboards I have 
(10-24-2019, 10:36 PM)Kayspyro76 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the clarification will see if the ryzen is comparable with any of the motherboards I have 

If you're asking/saying that... probably not, it has a new socket (AM4) and needs bios support which only motherboards from the past year(?) have.