Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Recommended graphics cards for Dolphin Emulator
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I'm hoping to purchase a graphics cards for my 10 year old PC(which currently is just using the Intel HD graphics built into the CPU) but I'm unsure which graphics card would best suit my needs. I'm hoping to be able to play Twilight Princess with HD texture packs. I tried to run Dolphin using the Intel Graphics that is built into my CPU but the program doesn't work very well.

My system is detailed as follow:
Intel i5 2500
ASUS P8H61-M Motherboard
8GB Ram

I was thinking of purchasing a GEFORCE GT 710 shown here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GeForce-Pas...714&sr=8-6

Can someone be kind enough to recommend a good graphics card for my needs based on what I've detailed above that wouldn't be too expensive?

Any helpful information that could be provided would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
The GT 710 is slower than a modern intel iGPU. It's really only useful for it's video decoder, which an iGPU also has lol

Get something that is as fast or faster than a 750 ti and Dolphin can trivially push even 4K in many titles.
I have managed to put GT 1030's into slimline Dell's with an i5-3470 would probably work in that too. Should be more than enough for Dolphin
Honestly with a good enough cpu, you could just use the integrated GPU and run dolphin at some pretty high settings. If your cpu cannot handle that, it needs an upgrade first.
His probably GPU limited in most case. I use a laptop with an i5-2520m and Intel hd 3000 sometimes. With dolphin 5.0 and newer I had most graphic issue either with error with booting game or just rendering issues. This didn't matter on the graphic backend either. This is probably most due to the fact that is a direct 10 card probably don't support some thing that dolphin now uses. I gave up and just use dolphin 4 and the direct 9 render as it was the only option out side of unofficial forks(which I might try one day on this) to be anywhere playable. I aware of the issue that dolphin 4 and direct 9 have but it was the only sane option for that hardware. With a modern graphic card he will be able to use newer version reasonable as he CPU isn't super bad.His cpu is faster then that laptop. As other poster said even a 1030(make sure you get the ddr5 version as it nearly 2 time faster in the benchmarks I seen) would be enough for dolphin to run.
Skylake Intel iGPUs and onwards should handle 2x IR (720p) in pretty much all games you can throw at Dolphin. If you want a dedicated GPU, get anything on par with a GT 1030 (right now I don't remember the AMD equivalent GPUs) and it should handle even 4k resolutions on lightweight games. The integrated graphics of Ryzen APUs can also handle anything you can run in Dolphin at 1080p at least...