Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How good is AMD Ryzen 5 2600 for Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would love to get AMD Ryzen 3600 but I just cant afford it. And for the lowest priced ones, you have to update the BIOS, which essentially means you need another ryzen processor for that! I mean it would be better than my current specs, but how well would it fare in Dolphin? Would it also be good outside of Dolphin, such as for gaming? Let me know.
(10-14-2019, 03:10 AM)ThinkInk Wrote: [ -> ]I would love to get AMD Ryzen 3600 but I just cant afford it. And for the lowest priced ones, you have to update the BIOS, which essentially means you need another ryzen processor for that! I mean it would be better than my current specs, but how well would it fare in Dolphin? Would it also be good outside of Dolphin, such as for gaming? Let me know.

The 2600 is still perfectly good for gaming and Dolphin, I used it before upgrading to my current cpu (3700X) and it ran Dolphin full speed most of the time. In games, I had and still have an RTX 2060 and neither the 2600 or 3700X have ever bottlenecked me below 75fps.

If you can get one of the MSI B450's like the Tomahawk they have Bios Flashback, which means you don't need a working CPU installed to update the bios, just the ability to write the bios update file to a FAT32 flash drive. What is your motherboard budget?
(10-14-2019, 03:31 AM)Ivybridge11 Wrote: [ -> ]What is your motherboard budget?

Well the highest I'm willing to pay for a processor and a motherboard is around 250. The processor I want is $117 and comes with a cooler. Because apparently even the smallest stock cooler it comes with wont fit inside the tomahawk, I thought of maybe going for the ASUS ROG Strix B450 F Gaming Motherboard. Would that be a good pair with the processor?
(10-14-2019, 03:35 AM)ThinkInk Wrote: [ -> ]Well the highest I'm willing to pay for a processor and a motherboard is around 250. The processor I want is $117 and comes with a cooler. Because apparently even the smallest stock cooler it comes with wont fit inside the tomahawk, I thought of maybe going for the ASUS ROG Strix B450 F Gaming Motherboard. Would that be a good pair with the processor?

Errr, what? The box cooler fits fine on the Tomahawk. I was using it before putting an even bigger aftermarket cooler on.

The ASUS is fine, I'm just confused as to where you heard that from.
(10-14-2019, 03:40 AM)Ivybridge11 Wrote: [ -> ]Errr, what? The box cooler fits fine on the Tomahawk. I was using it before putting an even bigger aftermarket cooler on.

The ASUS is fine, I'm just confused as to where you heard that from.

A few reviews mentioned that. Perhaps I shouldn't trust them if you mean that. I've decided on the ASUS since I just trust It more. Thanks for the suggestions!
(10-14-2019, 03:42 AM)ThinkInk Wrote: [ -> ]A few reviews mentioned that. Perhaps I shouldn't trust them if you mean that. I've decided on the ASUS since I just trust It more. Thanks for the suggestions!

That's fair, they may have just been confused that you have to take part of the mounting bits off but keep the backplate.

Well, I hope you enjoy your new cpu and motherboard.
I currently have a 3700x and the Motherboard I bought only said Ryzen 2000 ready. I didn't realize it until I booted my computer and the CPU fan didn't work. Luckily I quickly updated the BIOS and everything worked wonderfully after that. You can also try looking for motherboards that have the Ryzen 3000 ready sticker on them. Alternatively you can get a boot kit from AMD themselves. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100