Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: FPS drops with graphical and audio glitches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Julian97

Hello, Dolphin community!

I recently downloaded Dolphin for my PC because I wanted to play Animal Crossing - City Folk / Let's Go to the City over Wiimmfi together with my brother who plays the game on his Wii.

When the game is running on my laptop, occasionally the FPS drops while playing and then there are audio glitches (sound is distorted) and graphical glitches (slowdowns in the game). I have now tried to make some settings in Dolphin and to overclock my graphics card with MSI Afterburner. However, there are still some FPS drops while playing and then the glitches mentioned above occur.

I have attached all my settings of Dolphin and MSI Afterburner and would be very grateful if someone could give me some tips on how I could reduce or even eliminate the FPS drops.

Here are my computer and Dolphin specs:

Computer Model: Aspire V 15 Nitro (VN7-571G-70AD)
Operating System: Windows 10 x64
Processor/CPU: i7-5500U
Video Card/GPU: Nvidia GeForce 940M (2 GB VRAM)
Memory/RAM: 8 GB DDR3 L Memory
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 5.0 x64

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend!
[attachment=18365][attachment=18366][attachment=18367][attachment=18368][attachment=18369][attachment=18370][attachment=18371][attachment=18372][attachment=18373]
It's not your graphics card making it slow, it's your processor.

When we're emulating a game console, we have to essentially emulate the environment that the game runs in. That means emulating the Wii CPU, GPU, etc. This is strenuous on your processor, and your laptop's processor is in the U line, meaning it's designed for low power efficiency rather than the raw power that would be stronger for emulation.

The reason you're seeing audio/graphical slowdown is because these games are designed to run at a certain speed, and your computer cannot emulate the environment they run in (at least at the settings you've chosen) at the game's natural framerate.

You can try lowering the Emulated CPU Clock (in the Options/Configuration/Advanced tab) to make the emulated environment itself weaker. This means the game will be handling lag rather than your computer, which can sometimes be nicer. This can also cause other issues though and you need to use it with caution.