Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: MacOS Catalina supporting ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I won't upgrade it because I read it from Dolphin mentioned that Dolphin won't work with Catalina.. Is that true ? Are you going to fix it or something ?
So the issue is the notarizing requirement: we probably won't be able to notarize Dolphin due to conflicts with our build process and the notarizing automation (specifically some EULA/ToS stuff that I'm not informed enough to talk about confidently). To my understanding, if you install Catalina, Dolphin will work today, thanks to Apple putting off the notarization requirement at the last minute. But in three months or however long it is and the notarization requirement kicks in... we don't know. Apple has been very very opaque in this whole process. Will we be able to run as though Dolphin is unsigned? Will it cause a conflict and we'll have to remove our digital signature so only new builds after that point will work? Will unsigned apps even work at all? Seriously, their messaging could not be more messy and confusing. Some Apple pages said that all apps have to be notarized to run on Catalina period, while others thankfully say that notarization is only required for apps to run "by default". Come oooonnn Apple that kind of detail is make our break for thousands of applications! Be consistent with your messaging! And there are a lot of rumors about Apple making unsigned apps a lot harder to use.

Basically, we just don't know anything. Dolphin will run on Catalina today, but tomorrow... ┐(´-`)┌

Spoiler:
Um, I though our macOS builds already were signed, no? Or I'm missing something?
(10-10-2019, 07:43 AM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Um, I though our macOS builds already were signed, no? Or I'm missing something?

They are signed by the developer, but not notarized by Apple. Notarization is a new requirement that Apple added on top of signing.
(10-10-2019, 06:04 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]So the issue is the notarizing requirement: we probably won't be able to notarize Dolphin due to conflicts with our build process and the notarizing automation (specifically some EULA/ToS stuff that I'm not informed enough to talk about confidently). To my understanding, if you install Catalina, Dolphin will work today, thanks to Apple putting off the notarization requirement at the last minute. But in three months or however long it is and the notarization requirement kicks in... we don't know. Apple has been very very opaque in this whole process. Will we be able to run as though Dolphin is unsigned? Will it cause a conflict and we'll have to remove our digital signature so only new builds after that point will work? Will unsigned apps even work at all? Seriously, their messaging could not be more messy and confusing. Some Apple pages said that all apps have to be notarized to run on Catalina period, while others thankfully say that notarization is only required for apps to run "by default". Come oooonnn Apple that kind of detail is make our break for thousands of applications! Be consistent with your messaging! And there are a lot of rumors about Apple making unsigned apps a lot harder to use.

Basically, we just don't know anything. Dolphin will run on Catalina today, but tomorrow... ┐(´-`)┌

Spoiler:

Yes, unsigned apps will continue to run exactly like before. Nothing changed at all. So the worst case would be to not sign Dolphin anymore.
Notarization (only for apps signed with a Developer ID certificate) has not been postponed, but some requirements (hardened runtime) have been relaxed for a few months.
It's quite easy to create a shell script or similar to automatise notarization (my humble version of such script: https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/b...hbnotarize ), but it requires Xcode so it needs to run on a Mac. Notarization is done after the app is compiled and signed, so you could move the .dmg to another computer and notarise it if the build server is not running macOS.

Apple's documentation sucks a bit, WWDC sessions are a bit clearer.
Thanks for the advice.

One day, I will use Apple laptop for the travel or something like that. And Windows PC desktop for emulators and other things. Apple is stupid.. Really stupid, indeed.
Anyway, I downloaded a Dolphin .dmg from https://en.dolphin-emu.org/download/?ref=btn , notarized it, and now everyone can that will download it will be able to launch it too (if they are connected to the web the first time they try to launch it).

I did make a longer post to explain notarization but it seems it got lost in the moderation queue, a quick recap:

Signed apps need to be notarized to run. Notarization can (and must) be done after signing, and everyone with a developer id can do it (I notarized the the latest dolphin build); Notarization process gives you a "ticket" you can use top stamp the app. If you don't stamp it you will need to be connected to the Internet the first time you run the app.
You can notarise from the cli (but you need to be on macOS), here's a script I use for HandBrake: https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/t...ter/macosx

Unsigned app will run exactly like before (the easiest way is to right click in Finder, and select open). If you can't notarise the app right now the easiest solution is to distribute it unsigned.
You previous post was a full quote, so it was kept back. I just approved it though (and tried to put the quote tags in the right place).
(10-11-2019, 04:00 AM)galad Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, I downloaded a Dolphin .dmg from https://en.dolphin-emu.org/download/?ref=btn , notarized it, and now everyone can that will download it will be able to launch it too (if they are connected to the web the first time they try to launch it).

I did make a longer post to explain notarization but it seems it got lost in the moderation queue, a quick recap:

Signed apps need to be notarized to run. Notarization can (and must) be done after signing, and everyone with a developer id can do it (I notarized the the latest dolphin build); Notarization process gives you a "ticket" you can use top stamp the app. If you don't stamp it you will need to be connected to the Internet the first time you run the app.
You can notarise from the cli (but you need to be on macOS), here's a script I use for HandBrake: https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/t...ter/macosx

Unsigned app will run exactly like before (the easiest way is to right click in Finder, and select open). If you can't notarise the app right now the easiest solution is to distribute it unsigned.

How do you do that. I am curious how to notaries it since I am on macOS and I am planning to upgrade to the latest version otherwise I won't do it. 
Dolphin 5.0 10967 wasn't working with the Vulkan backend on macOS Catalina until I deleted the Dolphin folder in Application Support. Must have been some conflict with settings from the previous macOS. It's a shame Dolphin still hangs when I try to quit.
Pages: 1 2 3