Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Question about Dolphin and Mario Kart games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Culex316

First off, I have an HP Envy x360 laptop with a Ryzen 2500U and Vega 8 mobile integrated graphics. It has 8 GB RAM and is running Windows 10 (May 2019 update) and Dolphin 5.0-10906.

I was on an international flight and decided to play Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart Double Dash to kill time and I had my laptop in power save mode (Windows 10 power save plus the setting in the Control Panel) and surprisingly Mario Kart Wii still ran at a perfect 60 FPS with DirectX11 and Vulkan (with default setting s except 2x native resolution) and my Ryzen 2500U throttled at 1.57Ghz due to power save mode (I checked in the Task Manager).

I don't know if it's because Dolphin is just super-optimized, the Ryzen 2500U is fast enough IPC-wise, or if the Mario Kart games are simply not that "expensive" to emulate.

If anyone knows, please enlighten me.
Double Dash should be one of the light-weight games in Dolphin. If I recall, it's generally only demanding in multiplayer mode (think like 4 players) but that was years ago. The latest dev builds of Dolphin and modern hardware should breeze through the game with no problem.