Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Low frame rate playing twilight princess MAC mojave
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

FR0G

Just downloaded dolphin recently on my 2017 macbook pro mojave, while playing though i have been getting extremely low frame rates 10-17 fps, along with a warning each time I start the game : "your OpenGL driver does not support ARB buffer storage".

After doing some digging around the forums i saw people say that using vulkan as the backend graphics is the solution, i tried this and i do get a betterish frame rate : 20-26 fps, another problem arises while doing this : a lot of textures do not load properly especially character textures, although the warning does not appear anymore when doing this.

After some more digging i discover that all these problems stem from apple deprecating openGL.

I have a question am I screwed? or is there a possible fix.

I don't want to do any dual boot if possible don't want to screw up my computer by dividing ressources into 2.

Configuration :

Operating System: OSX -- x64
Processor/CPU: Intel Core i5-7360U 2.30GHz
Video Card/GPU: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB
Memory/RAM: 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 5.0-10910
If you don't want to dual boot you have no other option. Ask Apple to better support APIs that the tech industry has been using for years.

FR0G

(09-12-2019, 05:59 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't want to dual boot you have no other option. Ask Apple to better support APIs that the tech industry has been using for years.

would using a vm work? if so how many ressources should i feed to it?
It would probably "work", but it's only going to run worse than it is already.
(09-12-2019, 07:25 AM)FR0G Wrote: [ -> ]would using a vm work? if so how many ressources should i feed to it?

The only situation it would work better is if you passthrough the gpu to the VM, which AFAIK is linux host only on all virtualization software. If you don't, you would lose performance and probably have mediocre direct3d and opengl support at best.
Why not just go with Boot Camp? When you need Dolphin (or gaming in general), boot into Windows, for other uses, boot into macOS...
Parallels now supports D3D11. That might do well, but so far no one has tried it yet, that I know of. Also its probably a bad time, but worth a try?