Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 3d working weird
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there. Please note that this problem I'm posting may be entirely wrong, there may not be a problem whatsoever, I just wanted to make sure there are no problems.
I've been playing Metroid Prime for a few hours, and also Metroid Prime 3 (both PAL versions) in 3D. However, the 3D looks, how to put it... I'm not looking at a 3D image, I'm looking a 2D image put inside some deepness. Sorry, my english is not very good... It's like going to the cinema in 2D, you can see a 2D image, but from a distance. That's what I think it's happening. There is deepness in the image, but it's the same deepness for all of it, making a 2D image put a few centimeters inside the monitor. Like I said, I may be wrong, but this didn't happen with the rest of my games using Tridef 3D. For example, when I play Dead Space 2, I can see the difference of deepness in every object and distance on the screen. This is not what is happening in Dolphin. I'm using version 5.0-9808. I know there are newer versions, but I need to keep every version portable in order for them to work properly, and I try not to migrate to another version in the middle of a playthrough.
Is there something I can do to fix this?
(09-06-2019, 08:53 AM)paraemuladores Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there. Please note that this problem I'm posting may be entirely wrong, there may not be a problem whatsoever, I just wanted to make sure there are no problems.
I've been playing Metroid Prime for a few hours, and also Metroid Prime 3 (both PAL versions) in 3D. However, the 3D looks, how to put it... I'm not looking at a 3D image, I'm looking a 2D image put inside some deepness. Sorry, my english is not very good... It's like going to the cinema in 2D, you can see a 2D image, but from a distance. That's what I think it's happening. There is deepness in the image, but it's the same deepness for all of it, making a 2D image put a few centimeters inside the monitor. Like I said, I may be wrong, but this didn't happen with the rest of my games using Tridef 3D. For example, when I play Dead Space 2, I can see the difference of deepness in every object and distance on the screen. This is not what is happening in Dolphin. I'm using version 5.0-9808. I know there are newer versions, but I need to keep every version portable in order for them to work properly, and I try not to migrate to another version in the middle of a playthrough.
Is there something I can do to fix this?

Not all games provide actual depth information so we can interpolate the depth of a scene. Keep in mind that the games were made for 2D, so what the 3D is, is nothing more than 2x 2D side by side, if the game actually exposes the depth information it will often look a bit better, but don't expect miracles.
(09-08-2019, 12:40 AM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]Not all games provide actual depth information so we can interpolate the depth of a scene. Keep in mind that the games were made for 2D, so what the 3D is, is nothing more than 2x 2D side by side, if the game actually exposes the depth information it will often look a bit better, but don't expect miracles.

It's not a matter of whether the game exposes the depth buffer. Dolphin's stereoscopic 3D support hooks into the rendering on the GPU and renders the scene twice using slightly different camera matrices.
(09-08-2019, 12:46 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]It's not a matter of whether the game exposes the depth buffer. Dolphin's stereoscopic 3D support hooks into the rendering on the GPU and renders the scene twice using slightly different camera matrices.

So shouldn't that be enough to make the game completely 3D? Like I said before, it doesn't look entirely 3D, at least to me.
(09-09-2019, 01:59 AM)paraemuladores Wrote: [ -> ]So shouldn't that be enough to make the game completely 3D? Like I said before, it doesn't look entirely 3D, at least to me.

It should (in most cases, at least). I'm not sure what the problem is in your case. It's not impossible that stereoscopic 3D just broke again, considering how little testing it tends to get...

Which version (or versions) did you test this on?
Which game you're experiencing issues? I remember a few games that wouldn't display any 3D effect no matter what...
(09-09-2019, 02:58 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]It should (in most cases, at least). I'm not sure what the problem is in your case. It's not impossible that stereoscopic 3D just broke again, considering how little testing it tends to get...

Which version (or versions) did you test this on?

Quote:[color=#000000]5.0-9808[/color]
(09-09-2019, 03:44 AM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Which game you're experiencing issues? I remember a few games that wouldn't display any 3D effect no matter what...

This happens mainly in Metroid Prime 1 and 3, both PAL versions, in version 5.0-9808 of Dolphin.