Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is my laptop good for dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to play some games while I'm not at home so I will brought my laptop,  I don't know a lot of this so here are the specs:

Windows 10
Intel Core i5-8265U 1.6 GHz up to 3.9GHz
NVIDIA GeForce MX230 with 2GB VRAM
RAM: 8 GB
128 GB SSD 1000GB HDD

There's also an old laptop which worked pretty good for GC games and wii at playable speeds but I could cook an egg on it, I don't know if it's useful but here are the specs.

Windows 8.1
Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 610M
RAM 6 GB
500GB HDD

Thank you in advance.
It will depend pretty heavily on exactly which laptop it is and how well it can cool and power the CPU and GPU. Laptop chipsets are already kinda an issue with this and U series Intel chips are even more of an issue when it comes to not having been setup to run at max turbobost (or close to it) for long periods of time. So it will depend. If the laptop is mainly running at (or near) max turbo then it should be mostly OK. If it generally runs near the 1.6GHz base clock then much less so.
The current laptop should be more than enough for Dolphin. However, the old one with the GT 610M will struggle to run anything higher than higher than native or 720p.
So I've seen that you've posted another topic, which means you've tested it. Have you also tested wii games? If so, how do they run on your setup?