Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Graphics Problem with Wind Waker (Pixelated in game)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

CrzyIcE

Hey everyone,
I have a problem that I can't figure out.
I tried playing Legend of Zelda Wind Waker and the loading screen shown no problems.
But when the game began everything was really pixelated.
Image: (I took the screenshot in windows mode because it came out black in full screen, it is also R4665 as well for the screenshot because it is the same problem in all the Dolphins)
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/7060/desktopfix.png

But then I tried it on my friend's laptop and there was no pixelated problem at all.
We both had the same settings except he was using the 32 bit version. (I had tried 32 bit as well and the same problem is still there)
Our settings:
Dolphins 4681 (http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/thread-502.html)
DX9 Graphic Plugin Full screen
Mine: ///////////////////////////////////////////His:
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570/////////////////ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870
Full Screen enabled //////////////// Full Screen enabled
4:3 Aspect Ratio ///////////////////// 4:3 Aspect Ratio
Full screen reso: 1280 x 800 ////////////////1440 x 900
Anti Alias Mode: 4x MSAA //////////////// 4x MSAA (originally 8x MSAA but we tried using his at 4x MSAA and it still dont portray pixel problems)
Also mine doesn't go up to 8x MSAA, anyone know why? (Solved on this question: seems like I was misinformed. The 3800 series is better than the 4500 series which is probably why mine can only go up to 4x MSAA)

16x anisotropy filtering enabled 16x anisotropy filtering enabled

The rest are all the same.
I updated my video card drivers and DirectX.
Both our video card memory is 512mb.
My computer is Intel Duo Core 2.53 Ghz and his is 2.26 Ghz.
I tried using Dolphin 4665, 4525, 4652 and 4635 but none of them fixes this problem.
I can't figure out how the game doesnt portray the problem in his laptop but it does in mine even though our settings are the same and my laptop have slightly higher processor/video card.
Can anyone help me try to figure this out?
Thanks.

edit: Uninstalled ATI Catalyst Control Center and Uninstalled the driver. And then used Microsoft's ATI driver (ATI Radeon Mobility 4500 series Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1) and the pixel problem disappears but sacraficed alot of speed in game.
Updated driver back to recent ones and the graphic error reappeared.
Any other ideas? I am running out on what to do.
edit 2: Figured out the MSAA 8x thing, so I guess the only problem now is the pixelated problems.
I'm not that educated on video cards, but could it be a pixel shader problem? Is there a way I can enable this on Dolphins?
edit 3: The pixelation-blur isn't everywhere. I created a new game and when you start at the top and go down the ladder, the minute I go down the ladder link's shirt is no longer pixelated, neither is the floor board but his face and 1/2 of the ladder is pixelated. (This is for OpenGL plugin)
edit 4: Added the attachments, If you look at the first one, you can see that the blur exists as pixelated.
2nd one shows that there are some parts that are not pixelated. So maybe you are right Kupfel but there is something wrong with the blur effect in mine.
that's not an error, it's the recently implemented DoF blur that's also there in the real game.

If you don't like the blur you can either:

- use an old revision, r4470 or older (I think it was r4480 that implemented DoF Blur)
- Disable EFB Copy in your graphics plugin (might cause graphics errors in other places tho)

CrzyIcE

(12-13-2009, 09:35 AM)Kupfel Wrote: [ -> ]that's not an error, it's the recently implemented DoF blur that's also there in the real game.

If you don't like the blur you can either:

- use an old revision, r4470 or older (I think it was r4480 that implemented DoF Blur)
- Disable EFB Copy in your graphics plugin (might cause graphics errors in other places tho)

Hmm, it's not the blur thats the problem (or maybe it is - could it be that my blur is pixelated? cause it does not happen on my friends laptop). Its the pixels, even when I walk close up to the area, I can still see the pixels.
I played the game on the gamecube and it is nothing like what I see in the emulator though. It looks exactly like when I played it on my friends laptop (which had no problems).
Here is another image of when I am up close and you can still see the pixels.
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt183...opfix2.png
Your second method: I disabled EFB Copy and the pixelated problem is gone.
But I am still wondering how come my friend could have the EFB Copy to be enabled and have no problems while mine have to be turned off or else it looks that way?
Thanks though. (Also what other graphics errors does it cause with this disabled?)
Through the first image, it seems like the blur rather than a pixel problem because the Reso of the pic got compressed, I'll try to upload a closer view.
edit: I can't get the attachment to work. When I press attach file it disappears after it refreshes. I'll try to find another way to add the image.
edit 2: Uninstalled ATI Catalyst Control Center and Uninstalled the driver. And then used Microsoft's ATI driver (ATI Radeon Mobility 4500 series Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1) and the pixel problem disappears but sacraficed alot of speed in game.
Updated driver back to recent ones and the graphic error reappeared.
Any other ideas? I am running out on what to do. (pasted this on topic thread as well for people that don't usually read the posts)